Events, family dinners, company lunches, etc....

Options
Does anyone skip events because of food? It seems like every week there are at least 2 or 3 dinners. lunches, birthdays, etc. that happen and I feel like I'm making no progress because I attend them and have no self control. I don't just feel like I'm making no progress, I've gained 3 pounds since the beginning of January! I'm going backwards.

Well, I decided that I need to focus completely on my workouts and eating healthy over the next 2-3 weeks (to build some strong habits) then I get an invitation from my mom to come over for dinner...ugh! I don't want to make her feel bad by turning her down, but I know she's going to have alot of high calorie stuff there that I won't be able to resist.

Is it ok to let people know that at least for the next 2 or 3 weeks I really need to stay focussed and not go out?? I know this is a lifestyle, but I feel like I just need to kickstart this weightloss thing & drop a few pounds to get the ball rolling. I just don't want to be a jerk and offend people that I really do want to spend time with. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Replies

• daydream_believer
    Options
    i feel the exact same way! this is a really big problem im my life also, declining events due to the risk of consuming too many calories... particularly when alcohol is involved. ofcourse it is okay to let people know if you are focused on achieving a goal and need the time to get yourself on track. they should be supportive of you, you are doing a great thing :) but dont decline all events after the 2-3 week period and make yourself feel like you are missing out on fun, because then you wont feel like you wish to continue this lifestyle. i suggest having one night a week or month (whatever your most comfortable with) to enjoy your new body and celebrate. it makes it more fun when it is an occasional thing aswell. best of luck :)
  • deladypilot
    deladypilot Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    When you can, plan to take something with you that will be more to your dieting needs such as a fruit tray or veggie tray, a veggie dish for a pot luck thing. Drink lots of water before you go and keep a glass with you all the time. This should help keep you full and you will not over do it.

If you do go, use some basic guessing along with you knowledge of what a real serving size is. Such as a balled up fist is about 1 cup. The size of your thumb is about a tablespoon etc. it may help you make better choices

But yes, if you have to, tell everyone that you have to pass on the dinner out, family gathering etc so that you can get things under control. Let them know you will be back and to please understand.
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    I am right there with you!!! I find it so hard to go out. I know I need to figure out how to go out, have ONE glass of wine, order (or eat) the correct things and enjoy the people but... I just want to eat, drink and make merry!!! I try to eat something prior to leaving and have a quiet discussion with myself about the evening and what to look out for. I find that if I just say NO to everything, it is easier than eating a little.

Any one with tips on what to do???
  • roro73
    roro73 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the support and the tips. I actually had a talk with my mom last night and she was very supportive. I explained that I just need a few weeks to build some good habits so I'd be cooking at home and focussing my free time on working out and being more physical. If I can just jumpstart the weightloss & see a little progress, and build some good habits I'm sure I'll get to the point where I can go to the party & have a small portion of the bad stuff or avoid it alltogether and be ok with it. I was really proud of myself yesterday...I cooked breakfast, packed lunch & made myself a super healthy dinner and logged over 14,000 steps on my fit bit. It was a great first day!! I figure by the end of February I'll have things under control & on track. I'm happy my mom understood...she can be my best friend or my worse enemy (when it comes to nutrition...lol).

If anybody else has more tips, I'd love to hear em :smile: