Lower sodium or more carbs?

Options
Hi all! First time poster (I think). Haven't been on in a while.

So, yesterday while at the grocery store, I decided to purchase some canned carrots (I know, I know, but I was on a budget). While looking at the nutrition info for one can of "No salt added" carrots and one can of regular carrots, I noticed that the "no salt added" can had double the carbs, but 1/4 the sodium of the regular carrots. I decided to go with the regular carrots since I am watching my carbs, but wasn't sure if it was the smarter choice. Can anyone explain to me why a lower sodium can would have more carbs and which of the two cans is the healthier option?

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    No, that makes no sense. You may have interpreted weight measurements incorrectly, regardless though, it still portion control for carbs or anything else.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I don't know the answer. But you might check frozen carrots instead. They generally are a lot healthier than canned and are about the same price.
  • sncfan
    sncfan Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses you two. I'll definitely look into frozen carrots next time and will watch my carbs regardless. I guess I could have read the label incorrectly, but I'm pretty sure I didn't. Serving size was 1/2 cup for each of the cans. It didn't make much sense to me and I stood in the aisle for a few minutes trying to figure it out but ultimately gave up.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Look at the ingredients and the serving size. If the can that was not low sodium had a bigger serving size, that could account for the additional carbs, or it could have added sugar.

If I had my choice of added sugar or added sodium, I'd take the sodium.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't know the answer. But you might check frozen carrots instead. They generally are a lot healthier than canned and are about the same price.

I would agree that frozen more often have no added ingredients, but if all things are equal why would frozen necessarily be a lot healthier?
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Look at the ingredients... there must of been something extra in one of them.

Also, check the weight amount for the portion sizes. With it listing 1/2 cup that could be different measurements based on weight.

Look ta frozen or fresh next time should your budget allow. IF you regularly eat carrots, when they are on sale stock up on them. Wash them, peel if needed, cut up and freeze for future use.

Personally I would of gone with the lower sodium. I'm not sure why you are watching your carbs (and carrots tend to have quite a bit) but sodium will cause me to gain more weight (water weight) than carbs would.