13»

Replies

• sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I've lost 120 pounds in 10 months with zero exercise. So I'm not sure why you think lack of exercise is holding you back?

maybe she not only wants to be thin, she also wants to be fit.
  • luvs2teachincali
    luvs2teachincali Posts: 207 Member
    Options

but... its like brushing your teeth...if you want healthy...you just HAVE to.

^^ LOVE THIS. Thank you for putting this spin on it. :flowerforyou:

I should type that up and display it loud and proud in my house. My husband gets on the treadmill EVERY DAY like clockwork. He swears he HATES it just as much as I do, but says, "I have to force myself because I want to get healthy."
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I don't like exercise, but I enjoy the results.

I do enjoy other more 'interesting' forms of exercise - rock climbing, mountain biking etc.

I've been doing 'starting strength' recently.
    Involves three exercises per gym session (say squats, bench press and deadlift.) The exercises don't take long, though a good rest between each set means it's about 45 minutes in total (including the couple of minutes to get to and from the gym, as it's just down the road.)
    I have an audio book on the mp3 player so I don't have to listen to whatever dodgy radio station they have (now sorting it so I can do it in my own space.) Overall, not too bad.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I really don't enjoy exercising at all. I enjoy the results.. so it's worth it to me.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I understand, I really do, but I also agree with a former poster - we're all adults here. We have to do a lot of things that are not fun - in fact, are downright boring - but we do them because they have to be done. So I drink my water in spite of its uninspiring taste, brush my teeth and change my linens, and I exercise.
  • jsenecal12
    Options
    I wish I could climb inside your head and give you a different outlook on life...

Exercise will help you lose weight - and there is nothing boring about losing weight. I'm wearing clothing that I had custom tailored before having kids. Do you know how fun and exciting it is to fit into them again?! I'm seeing muscle definition again, I'm not hating the reflection in the mirror, I'm feeling stronger, healthier and more capable than I have in years. Exercise is a part of all that. Exercise is helping me achieve new things. It's not a thing to be dreaded or hated or discounted before you even start. Think of it as a means to a very happy and exciting ending. Think about it as taking time to do something for YOU. I'm sure like the rest of us you have tons of demands on your time. Be selfish and exercise!!

Even with a great outlook, doing the elliptical (for example) is still BORING to me. So, so, so very boring. Yes, it's helping burn calories, and lose weight, and even build muscle definition. But it's BORING. Luckily with exercise, there are a lot of less-boring options for those of use who find "typical" gym cardio/weights to be excruciatingly dull. Simply saying "but it's good for you" and trying to change my outlook doesn't make the exercise less boring. Less-boring exercise makes it less boring! Group activities, outdoor adventures, dancing, sports, etc. Those are less boring and still burn calories and can develop muscle.

I hate the elliptical too, so when I know I'll be using it, I make sure I have an MP3 player stocked with high-energy music that I can set a pace to. It's actually enjoyable, try it!
  • Vercell
    Vercell Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Well you are doing good you are moving, do what you like maybe move really fast add some squats during your hikes and walks and add some resistant bands or weights. The more you do what you love you will soon see the results and want to do more.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Take walks, hike, and play with your kids. Then eat less calories than you burn and you'll lose weight.
  • kayla554
    kayla554 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I don't hate exercise I enjoy it but sometimes when I do alot of cardio at once it can be boring but music helps me get through it. Also if you get bored fast try doing high intensity workouts that burn fat fast... They are very tiring and trust me you will be feeling the "burn" not being bored.
  • AmandaReimer1
    AmandaReimer1 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    You can get Zumba for wii, and you can choose your class lengths. Someone suggested interval...maybe try Jillian Michaels 30 day shred? It's only 20 minutes, and available on YouTube.
  • xXxHBICxXx
    xXxHBICxXx Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I too hate working out most of the time but I loooooove LOVE that feeling when your done and your sweaty and exhausted that's when I know I've done something right. And I get in a really good mood after I workout so that is a huge plus.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Two words; Interval training. That sure as hell doesn't give you time to think it's boring with how badly you're kicking your own *kitten*.

Have to agree, changing it up constantly makes it interesting.
  • melbatoast917
    melbatoast917 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I literally had the "runner's high" conversation less than an hour before i read your post. I always thought it was a bunch of BS until.....

i started lifting weights. every word you wrote was me to a T. even "fun cardio classes" were as much fun as an eye poke.

I actually do feel that shot of endorphins from strenght training. it goes by soooo fast and even if i dont really really "want" to go, once i start, that feeling is shaken off in minutes. That never ever ever happened when i forced myself to go run on a machine, take a class or do exercise via home video game.

Ugh! Exactly! All the wasted months pretending I LOOOOVED cardio! I can honestly say that 45 minutes flies by doing squats, lunges, deadlifts, etc.
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Why is your hatred of exercise holding you back? Weight loss doesn't require exercise.

yep^. while exercise is wonderful for your body and mind, it's not required to lose weight.
  • Loftearmen
    Options
    Dedication- develop it
  • wmagoo27
    wmagoo27 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Join a team. Play a sport. Check your local community center.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Do things outside.

Run, hike and bike - not for the exercise but for getting out and doing things, seeing things.
    Do it alone or with people - whichever works for you.
    Listen to music.
    Take classes.
    Try different things like weight lifting, climbing.
    Set goals or pcompetitions.
    Think about how you feel afterwards and how you enjoy your body.
    Play mental games.

And if at the end of it all you still don't like living in a healthy body - that's ok, you can stll lose weight but just adjust your mental picture of how you want to grow old and unfit.