What do you guys think, am I doing the right thing?

Options
Ok my foot had been hurting since October while marathon training. Went to dr, had MRI, diagnosed it as a torn tendon
but cleared me to run. It held up great for me during the marathon and into December but then the pain got worse. I went back over
a month ago, xray showed a 5th metatarsal stress fracture so I was put in aircast and told no cardio at all. I followed orders, went back this week and it is not healing. Was told 4 more weeks in cast (but no crutches) and still absolutely no cardio.

Now I know this is a very bad spot for a sf but my pain has gotten much worse since wearing the boot and doing nothing. I'm just frustrated, especially when the dr looked back at the MRI this week and said it was fractured back then even.
I want to get a second opinion to make sure I'm doing what is necessary. I have just worked so hard to get where I was and it has left me really depressed. Thoughts?

Replies

• Lusadi
    Lusadi Posts: 79
    Options
    If you feel like you need a second or even third opinion, get it. The worst that will happen is that they will tell you the first doctor was right.
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    A metatarsal is a bad bone to fracture. It supports all your body weight and you can't even bind it to another bone to splint it like you could a toe. I would imagine it could take quite a while to heal, but I agree to get a second opinion if you're concerned
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I agree. Talk to another doctor. It'll cost you a doctor's visit and some time, but it's worth it to know that you are doing the right thing!
  • lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Is this your regular Dr? Go see an ortho or sports medicine Dr. If you can find one that is a runner themselves, that's even better.