Night Time Snacking - How Do I Break the Habit?

Options
2»

Replies

• FoundxFocus
    FoundxFocus Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I believe that getting junk food out of the house would be wonderful, but sadly isn't an option because I'm not the only person that lives in my house. I do however, like the idea of eating less calories during the day to calculate for what I will end up eating later. I'll definitely be giving that a try. :happy:
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I don't know. On the few occasions when I have been tempted to eat late at night, I simply didn't.

Now if only I could break my late afternoon snacking habit!
  • FoundxFocus
    Options
    Try painting your nails every time you get the urge to snack at night if you have already eaten all of your calories for the day. You surely will not want to mess up your nails digging into a chip bag! And you should feel a little better after your nails are always pretty and people compliment them! Good luck!

This is an awesome idea! I'm definitely going to be trying this out. And plus, my nails could use some color :wink:
  • Lexieberry
    Lexieberry Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I have little self-control when it comes to junk food, so I simply don't buy it. If it's not in the house, I can't snack on it, and usually after wandering around the kitchen and looking in cabinets for a while and only finding healthy stuff the cravings tend to dissipate. :)

This is me...I just don't buy cookies and junk food. I choose to have a bowl of cereal at night if I'm craving sweets.
  • dford5
    dford5 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Brush your teeth or chew gum.
  • kbell1121
    kbell1121 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    personally, I had this problem. So I made a 21 day countdown and posted it on my pantry. And every night I would cross a day off if I didn't eat junk at night. It takes 21 days for anything to become habit.
  • kobiemom
    kobiemom Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I can tell you what works for me. I make myself eat breakfast, even though I don't want to. I'm not hungry in the morning, but if I skip it, I'm uncontrollably hungry at night. It's like my body calls for that meal at the wrong time.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Dont buy it, and it wont be in your house!
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    How about brushing your teeth as it sends a signal to your brain that the day is over? Maybe lock your kitchen door as a reminder that the kitchen is shut?
  • jenniferrusso7393
    jenniferrusso7393 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Im in that boat too-- I dont live alone, so the junk food is there I eat carrot chips for a healthy sweet snack, and popcorn for a more salty snack (I crave them both)... the only other thing to do is measure them out, or once,I hid themin my kids room-- out of sight, out of mind...
  • FoundxFocus
    Options
    Brush your teeth or chew gum.

Yea I've heard that before. I'll have to try it out and see if it works for me. :smile:
  • DeirdreMum8
    Options
    With pre teen boys, little kids and a husband, there is always food around so I had to come up with another plan:) I am lucky to be the shopper in the household but I gained even on leftovers from dinner or corn chips. So I had to find another plan.

I work out at night. We have a treadmill at home but workout videos would work too. I workout for an hour minimum 6 nights a week between 8pm and 10pm. Then just water before I sleep.

I would attribute about 15 pounds lost to this habit alone. Being thinner makes me want to eat better and stay healthy but night workouts for the last 2 years nixed nighttime snacking:)

Good luck!
  • jennmodugno
    jennmodugno Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I make sure to eat all my daily calories on healthier things during the day, and then at night if I want a "bad" snack I make myself exercise long enough to burn the calories first. It makes me decide if I REALLY want that snack, and it makes me get off my butt and exercise! lol
  • kayleepie
    kayleepie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Getting rid of the junk food out of the house isn't really an option for me because my partner would kill me!

What I have found really useful is to buy little snack packs of chips instead of whole bags and little mini hocolate bars instead of a whole block. It's easy to count exactly how much you are eating and it helps me eat less. There are lots of treat foods that you can buy in small portions like this. Ice creams, cookies, nuts, crackers and cheese etc.
  • slcostel
    slcostel Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have little self-control when it comes to junk food, so I simply don't buy it. If it's not in the house, I can't snack on it, and usually after wandering around the kitchen and looking in cabinets for a while and only finding healthy stuff the cravings tend to dissipate. :)

EXACTLY THIS! And I get soooo mad when there's nothing to eat, but I thank myself whenever I log in my food. And my grocery bill thanks me too :)
  • brown41stacy
    brown41stacy Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I started reading books after dinner and keeping a glass of water next to me. Good luck. :)
  • RoxanneChantae
    Options
    I have to agree with limiting the junk food bought. What about healthy snacks like hummus and veggies?

Or have something warm when you are relaxing or at bed time? Like chamomile tea, peppermint tea, hot water and lemon or ginger?

Something soothing and will help give you a full feeling.
  • Vercell
    Vercell Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I started getting up at 430am to workout by 5am and am to tired to eat pass 6pm because all I can think of is sleep. I use to be night time eater am just to tired. You can try leaving some calories open for a snack apple peanut butter is great.