Conquering the C25K fear

Options
About 2 weeks ago I wrote a topic about wanting to start the C25K but nervous about sticking with it. I am proud to say that I have just completed week 2 and starting tomorrow I go to week 3. Am I nervous, you betcha. But the difference now is...I refuse to quit. That is hugely in part to the wonderful responses I received from all of you 2 weeks ago. Thanks all.

Replies

• robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Keep going!! You can do it I promise. Find a 5K near you and sign up even if you have to walk some of the way. It will get you psyched up and hooked 4 sure!! You can find one near you by logging on to active.com. Its way cool. Good luck and stay motivated!!!
  • cornboy72
    cornboy72 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Way to go!!. I did the program last March and can say I have run over 600 miles since then including 5ks 10ks and a Half Marathon. Nothing to nervous about, just keep thinking of what you are accomplishing.. No pressure with that program you go at your pace and in the end you can say you can do a 5k. Keep it up and hit me up for anything if you need to.
  • mmrose00
    mmrose00 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    WTG!!!!!!!!!!!! I love C25K!!! I just restarted myself , started Week 3 yesterday! It's great!

Keep up the GREAT work!!:drinker:
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    That is great! Just keep going. I have stretched the program out for 3.5 months (or more) instead of 2. I am so glad I didn't quit. I can jog for 25 minutes now without wanting to die. I am slow but I am doing it. You can too.
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    According to my cell phone, I have walked the 20-mile Grand Canyon trek via my GZGear button. I just signed up for the 218 mile John Muir Trail (cell phone keeps track of my steps each day). This is done on a G'z One phone. Wish me luck! :smile:
  • mhesterruns
    Options
    That how it goes! Weird isn't it? Wait until y ou get into the upcoming weeks...it gets better. The desire to run and do it grows with each step. I have run in allkinds of crazy weather and stuff because I have a goal and a list to check off. I am on week 8 and actually am running longer than the time it wants me to just because I want to make it back to where I started. Good job! Keep at it YOUR worth it.
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Woot woot!!!! Kick your own a**, seabass!!
  • Monda
    Monda Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Can someone tell me how to get started on this program? Do you buy a book telling you what to do?:smile:
  • lynnie30
    lynnie30 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Ah, I've done the C25K too. It was great! Just google it- they have a website that tells you exactly what to do. You can also get an app on itunes for it too that tells you when to run and when to walk.
  • Fancy_Nancy2
    Fancy_Nancy2 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Way to go I am on week on of C25k day 3 tomorrow
  • cornboy72
    cornboy72 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Can someone tell me how to get started on this program? Do you buy a book telling you what to do?:smile:

Just google C25K and you will see plenty of information.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    You can totally do it! If I can do it, you can do it! I am running 5-10 min intervals now. Not really following a particular program, just pushing myself to go as long as I can. Remember that there's no shame in repeating weeks. It will only make you stronger for the next step. Now get 'er done!

Monda, go here for C25K:
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE the C25K program. I've never been a runner and in just 7 weeks I'm able to run 2 miles without stopping. Even when I was at my most fit I was never able to do that. Also the iPhone app is awesome because it let's you play your own music and gives you audio prompts on when to walk/run/cooldown/etc. I sound like an infomercial for the C25K program but it's awesome!!
  • akrae
    akrae Posts: 18
    Options
    I'm doing a similar plan from RunnersWorld.com and love it. I'm like you, I was super nervous that I wouldn't be able to do it, but I can! I actually love running now. Now there's something I never thought I'd say in a million years.

I've been doing a lot of reading lately since I'm new to running and the key is to avoid the "terrible toos." Too much, too soon, too fast. Slow and steady wins the race, otherwise you could get injured and get discouraged.

Keep it up! I think I may sign up for my first 5K on October 16. Still a little nervous though!