Are there good shoes... cheap?

Options
I was looking for info on workout shoes on here and the results of the search almost all said things about going to a running store and getting fittings and blah blah blah.

Thats great. I'm poor. *laugh*

I was just wondering if there is such a thing as ok workout shoes at like walmart or something. Like under $30. Has anyone tried any of these? Do they offer enough support for all the various cardios one might do?

Replies

• harborgirl
    Options
    I've gotten walking shoes at PayLess that were pretty comfy, and they have wide sizes, too (which I needed). They weren't real leather but that's actually better if you ever go out when it's wet.
  • lunacocoa
    lunacocoa Posts: 21
    Options
    I bought a pair of Adidas exercise shoes from Off Broadway Shoes for about $30. They have a pretty large selection or all types of shoes.
  • mmrose00
    mmrose00 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Do you plan to use these sneakers for running?? If so I know it may be a stretch for you now, but you really shouldn't skim on your running shoes because you may purchase a sneaker that doesn't provide the support you need for your running style, which can do more harm then good. I would also recommend going to a running store, have your feet measured/analyzed and maybe they have something on sale.. You never know unless you check. If not take the names of the recommended sneakers and google them, maybe you can get them cheaper online. Hope this helps!!:flowerforyou:
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Options
    New balance are pretty reasonable and comfortable
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I stand by New Balance as well and although they can run up to $100 new, I've gotten them on sale for as low as $25. I recently bought a pair of Avia's on sale for $40 and they are really comfortable to work out in. Check shoe outlet store. Do you have Altiers, Famous Footwear or DSW in your ares?
  • aclem89
    aclem89 Posts: 2
    Options
    Here in Florida we have Bealls. They seem to always have running and walking shoes on sale. I bought a pair of New Balance for around $30.00.
  • Catzwitch
    Catzwitch Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm out of Orlando, FL, so there's a few options here to check out. :)

I was beginning to think I'd have to find a pair of used ones on Craigslist or something. :)
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    IM GOING TO A RUNNING STORE TOMORROW TO GET FITTED RIGHT, MY FEET KILL ME WHEN I RUN.
  • donnaleecam
    Options
    I walk, (dn't run)but Ryka is pretty good. I usually wear Nike, my foot is narrow. Outlet mall may have some bargains. You want decent support.
  • Buzzkitty1
    Buzzkitty1 Posts: 134
    Options
    I got some amazing Asics (in a hideous color) at Kohl's for $13.99. They always have tons of great sneakers when I go in there. I personally can't stand New Balance. They give me shin splints.
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    A couple of months ago I left my "good" running shoes at work so I didn't have any shoes to work out in on Saturday. I decided to run and get me a "cheap" pair of shoes from Walmart on my way to the gym and figured it wouldn't matter since i was just for temporary use. It made a huge difference. After working out in them over the weekend my arches hurt, my shins hurt and I regrettted the $30 I spent on them. I got my Asics on sale for about $59, they were normally around $90 but they were WELL worth every penny I spent on them.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Are you running? If you are working out at home go barefoot or sock foot. I have done it from the beginning and my foot strength has improved tremendously.
  • sheri3762
    sheri3762 Posts: 159
    Options
    i got a pair of the Avia toning tennis shoes and they ae really comfortable,but, and this is a big one, they kill my back. I don't knowif its because they are unbalanced. Hard to explain but when you set them down, they will rock back and forth because they are built up in the middle underneath the shoe. ( I know, its hard to explain let alone picture!) Anyway, I keep trying to wear them thinking I will get use to them. I only want to wear them around the yard, walking, etc, but after an half hour my back is really hurting everytime!! paid $50 for them on sale and now I'm wishing I wouldn't have. Has anyone else had any success with this type? Could it be I just need to get use to them?
  • Catzwitch
    Catzwitch Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Are you running? If you are working out at home go barefoot or sock foot. I have done it from the beginning and my foot strength has improved tremendously.

I've been trying the barefoot/socks thing but I nearly die when doing jumping jacks or other jumping exercises. When i go walking right now all I have is a pretty darn old pair of Chuck's that have no support. I have arthritis and back issues so I'm hoping to find something with some more support - especially for the more aerobic stuff and jumping exercises.

The reason I *need* cheap is because I'm unemployed right now and my UC pays the rent, the electric, and doesn't leave much after that. $30 is an absolute SPLURGE for these things for me.
  • thisemmabites
    Options

I've been trying the barefoot/socks thing but I nearly die when doing jumping jacks or other jumping exercises. When i go walking right now all I have is a pretty darn old pair of Chuck's that have no support. I have arthritis and back issues so I'm hoping to find something with some more support - especially for the more aerobic stuff and jumping exercises.
    The reason I *need* cheap is because I'm unemployed right now and my UC pays the rent, the electric, and doesn't leave much after that. $30 is an absolute SPLURGE for these things for me.

I most definitely almost fall on my *kitten* if I'm barefoot :) I have these
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8043473
    I've had them for almost a year and they are still in pretty good shape. They aren't very stylish, but eh, whatever right?!
  • bboeke
    bboeke Posts: 8
    Options
    I get all my shoes off eastbay.com. It has just about any kind of shoe you could want. I have been buying $20 Nikes for the past couple of years and they have always been fine for me.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    Try www.endless.com I buy all my shoes there, they have free overnight shipping and returns and often have running shoes on sale at a good price.

I bought a pair of Puma trail running shoes to use in the gym and I LOVE THEM. I love them way more than my Nike Shox shoes which are supposed to be super comfortable, but they aren't cushy like the Pumas.