Sprouting

Options
Anyone else doing it here? I would love to hear some recipes with simple ingredients if you have them. This is a whole new and exciting and very yummy world to me. So far I have done garbanzo beans, quinoa, black eyed peas and now have white and kidney beans sprouting. My kids like them too. What are your favourite things to sprout and what recipes are your favourite? If you do sprout or are interested in it at all I would love to hear your experiences and feel free to add me as a friend. Please send a message with the request so I know how I found you. Thanks.

Replies

• NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    anyone?
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    bump
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    bump
  • traceyfunk
    Options
    I've done some sprouting myself - mung beans, alfalfa, lentils, chickpeas. I'm concerned that you're sprouting kidney beans! I've learned that they must be cooked before eaten, even if sprouted. They are poisonous when eaten raw!
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    It is funny you mention this. I actually used to sprout beans and grains for my African Grey parrot. I wasn't intent on eating healthy at the time so it never occurred to me to eat them as well :laugh: Sadly, we had to re-home the parrot because I was highly allergic to him. I think I will attempt sprouting again, this time for the humans of the household. :wink: I used to buy bean mixes, flax and quinoa from the bulk food store. I soaked them overnight then sprouted them in containers. I bet that would be good on a salad!
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    I love sprouting. Thanks for the heads up on the kidney beans, I haven't read that. I will try to find some info. They are soaking now so I am so glad I said something. I can put them in soup or something if they are dangerous. I don't like black eyed peas cooked but sprouted they are amazing.
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    I actually just started some broccoili and radish sprouts today. We love them!
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    wow I am so glad that I didn't sprout the kidney beans yet, I just soaked them. What about black eyed peas? Anyone know? Or white beans?. I sprouted lentils too.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    I just started sprouting lentils last week. I add them to sandwiches, soups and casseroles.
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    Anyone know whether black eyed peas are toxic?
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    so I see soy beans are toxic as well.
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    and most bigger beans. I think I will boil them for at least 10 minutes before eating them and then they should be safe. What about seeds? Are there any seeds that are toxic?
  • traceyfunk
    Options
    I'm pretty sure you're safe with the peas and beans - your tummy would have already told you otherwise by now anyway. It's been a while since I did any sprouting or research and I can't seem to find the website I used to always refer to. They must have changed their format, but if you're patient there is tons of info out there. Time to pull out my seeds and get soaking! Thanks for the inspiration!
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    maybe it is safer to make soup with them instead of eating them raw. I have a pretty strong stomach lol. My kid ate some black eyed peas and was fine too. But better to be safe than sorry. Maybe a bean, veggie soup is in order :) I read boiling them more than 10 minutes is adviseable.
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    I'm pretty sure you're safe with the peas and beans - your tummy would have already told you otherwise by now anyway. It's been a while since I did any sprouting or research and I can't seem to find the website I used to always refer to. They must have changed their format, but if you're patient there is tons of info out there. Time to pull out my seeds and get soaking! Thanks for the inspiration!

thanks for the help. Glad I didn't poison myself or my family lol.
  • traceyfunk
    Options
    me too!