Havent lost a pound!! Help!

Options
Ive been eating the recommended 1260 cals/day in order to lose 2 lbs/week. I have not lost a pound. Ive been doing this for 4 weeks now. After doing some research, Ive found that my BMR=1466 cals/day and my TDEE =2165 cals/day. I exercise on average 30 mins/day 5 days/week. I'm guessing I need to increase my daily cals based on these calculations? Can anyone help me to adjust my daily caloric intake? How much should I be eating daily? I am 47 year old female, 165 lbs and 5'6". I want to lose quickly and safely, my goal weight is 150.
:sad:

Replies

• gungho66
    gungho66 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    If you dont put gas in a car , how far will you go?

Your body needs fuel,fuel equals food. Your bmr is 1462 , thats just breathing and doing ,nothing. Its what you use to exist so how can 1260 keep you alive? Your body thinks your starving it and is not going to let go of any fat in fear that you will kill yourself. Then to top it off your exercising and creating a bigger deficit if your not eating those calories back. I come up with a tdee of 2266 for you and if you want to lose the 2 pounds your speaking of each week that puts you at 1266 a week but you have to eat every calorie. In other words dont eat 1266 calories then exercise them away, eat them back. Personally I would put my goal at 1.5 pounds which would put you at 1516 calories or at least eat the 1462. Water ,water,water and get plenty of fiber and rest, also make sure your getting enough protein, i would say a minimum of 100 grams -125 a day.

Premium or unleaded
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Your body needs fuel,fuel equals food. Your bmr is 1462 , thats just breathing and doing ,nothing. Its what you use to exist so how can 1260 keep you alive? Your body thinks your starving it and is not going to let go of any fat in fear that you will kill yourself. Then to top it off your exercising and creating a bigger deficit if your not eating those calories back. I come up with a tdee of 2266 for you and if you want to lose the 2 pounds your speaking of each week that puts you at 1266 a week but you have to eat every calorie. In other words dont eat 1266 calories then exercise them away, eat them back. Personally I would put my goal at 1.5 pounds which would put you at 1516 calories or at least eat the 1462. Water ,water,water and get plenty of fiber and rest, also make sure your getting enough protein, i would say a minimum of 100 grams -125 a day.

Premium or unleaded

Stupid analogy is stupid, surely one can't use fat or glycogen for fuel, right?
  • gungho66
    gungho66 Posts: 284 Member
    Options

Premium or unleaded

Stupid analogy is stupid, surely one can't use fat or glycogen for fuel, right?

Use whatever you want,the bottom line is you need energy from somewhere.Your explanation makes so much more sense.
  • janerfitnesspal145
    Options
    Don't forget to watch the sodium. As you approach 50 years, daily sodium should be less. I know that when I started eating healthier a few years ago, I'd been working out for 3-4 weeks and hadn't lost any weight (and yes, was eating enough calories). I finally figured out I was eating less calories than before, but I was consuming too much sodium. Once I reduced sodium to a healthier level, the pounds started coming off! I've dropped 40+ pounds the past few years and managed to keep it off, now I'm going for more weight loss.
  • sovannac
    sovannac Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    You need to be eating more. I set myself at 1500 calories and for three weeks, I hadn't lost a single pound and I was working out 5-6 days a week doing 45 minutes of cardio and lifting 3 times a week. You would think I would lose something, right? Wrong. After a lot of research, I upped my calories to 1700 and decreased my cardio and in a week and half, I've lost 4 pounds.
  • meribethd
    meribethd Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    At 165 lbs with a goal weight of 150, you don't have very much to lose, so you may want to lower your goal to a 1 lb/week loss. When you are closer to goal, your body wants to hold on to the extra weight. You may have more success with a smaller calorie deficit, taking a few extra weeks to lose the weight instead of trying to get it off quickly.

Like others have said, I would increase your calories (I'd even go 1600-1800), up your protein, limit the processed stuff, watch your sodium and drink extra water. Good luck--you can do it!
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    quickly and safely are mutually exclusive if you ask me--there will always be dangers associated with rapid weight loss. I say to take it MUCH SLOWER than 2 pounds per week and shoot for 1/2 to 1 pound per week. In 10-20 weeks you'll be down 10 pounds...in time for swimsuit season!