Natural sugars vs. Added sugars

Options
I am wondering why naturally occurring sugars aren't separated from added sugars? Both sugars are clumped together in one category but I've heard countless times that even diabetics can safely eat the sugars of vegetables, milk, and even moderate amounts of fruit. This is because lactose is digested differently than say glucose or fructose, while vegetables and fruit have fiber and other nutrients that prevent the sugar from being absorbed quickly and thus are safe to consume for most people, even those who are worried about sugar intake. Meanwhile, pop or processed food with added table sugar are essentially poisonous and should be kept below 20 grams for a woman and 39 for a man per day.
My recommended amount of daily sugar according to myfitnesspal is 40 grams, so I will always go over...the cup of milk I have for breakfast is 12 grams and throw in the added 6 grams of sugar per cup in my breakfast cereal, I'm almost halfway there after just one meal. I am curious why I'm allowed 40 grams of sugar anyway on a 2000 calorie diet when I've heard the recommended amount for a woman is only 20 grams? I don't count milk, vegetables or fruits and keep the added sugars, like cereal, bread and treats below 20...or as close as I can get. So this is throwing my whole mental system out of whack to see I've consumed "68 grams of sugar"...even though it is mostly through milk, fruits, and vegetables. This is stressing me out and doesn't seem right. Shouldn't we be worried about added sugars like in cookies, chocolate and table sugar instead of fruits, veggies and milk?

Replies

• suv_hater
    suv_hater Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    If it comes from a tree or the ground, eat it. It has always worked for humans.

Anything that has a package or ingredients list attached to it should probably be looked at.