Eating all my calories

Options
2»

Replies

• Fightin2GetFit
    Fightin2GetFit Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I suppose it's hard to say whom is correct. I tend to bounce around between a 1200 calorie diet up to a 1500 calorie diet and ever since I stopped eating my exercise calories burned I've had more progress. To each his own! :)
  • melbogg
    melbogg Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I think the best approach is trying it both ways and see what your body responds positively to.
    Everyone's body, metabolism and weight loss is different. Listen to your body and do whats best for you
  • Fightin2GetFit
    Fightin2GetFit Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I've got over 900 calories left to my goal today including exercise calories after all my meals. Should I be eating them all?

I'm no expert but I've had 3 professionals (a sports medicine dr, a nutritionist, and a fitness coach) all tell me the same thing: NEVER eat your exercise calories. So for example if you were on a 2,000 calorie diet, burned 500 calories exercising, only eat the 2,000 (not 2,500). Hope this helps! =)

This is completely contrary to my understanding of how this site works,

You're absolutely correct. I followed the website until recently when I consulted with all three and they all told me the same thing (don't eat them). I try to ignore the net calories now and only look at the food calories. Honestly though, do what ever works for you. :)
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Eat ALL the calories!!!

This, I earned them, I am going to eat them.
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I've got over 900 calories left to my goal today including exercise calories after all my meals. Should I be eating them all?

I'm no expert but I've had 3 professionals (a sports medicine dr, a nutritionist, and a fitness coach) all tell me the same thing: NEVER eat your exercise calories. So for example if you were on a 2,000 calorie diet, burned 500 calories exercising, only eat the 2,000 (not 2,500). Hope this helps! =)

You're absolutely correct. I followed the website until recently when I consulted with all three and they all told me the same thing (don't eat them). I try to ignore the net calories now and only look at the food calories. Honestly though, do what ever works for you. :)

Did these three people understand that MFP sets up the deficit for you?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Did these three people understand that MFP sets up the deficit for you?

Yeah - that's what my first thought was too.

MFP as designed ......the the deficit is built in BEFORE exercise. MFP does not ASSUME anyone will exercise. When you add exercise in MFP you are increasing the deficit by more.

When the deficit is too large .... weight loss will eventually stall (think plateau) and you will most likely lose muscle along with fat.

But consider that some people use exaggerated calorie burns on a regular basis, and others have their activity level set too high ... of course eating back calories under these scenarios doesn't work out for them.
  • mwyle
    mwyle Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone

Have done much better today. Made all my meals a bit larger and had much less calories left after dinner