Raw eggs? Safe eggs? Pasteurized eggs? Thoughts?

Options
Okay, growing up, I was a runner. Ran 7 to 10 miles a day and started everyday with a quasi homemade eggnog protein shake... decades before they were popular.... I'd crack a raw egg into my one cup mixer, some milk, some vanilla and chug. I was always healthy as a horse. I used to make hollandaise sauce too (using a raw egg) Then, years later, we all heard that eating raw eggs was not safe... so we had to buy premade drinks with pasteurized egg powders or mixes or whatever... or we have to slow cook and then re-cool it to make it safe.... has something really changed about the eggs? or what?

Now, we have new products on the market like the "safe eggs" that are supposedly bringing back safe raw eggs that we can use in sauces and drinks, etc. http://www.safeeggs.com/

What do you think? Do you use raw eggs? Are they special pricey "safe eggs"? Ordinary eggs? Aren't all eggs pasteurized? Are any eggs other than these specialty ones? Does it really matter? Considering I drank them darn near every day growing up while running... and I was never healthier... I inclined to think I may not worry about this anymore... and think of the awesome protein and other nutrients from it? So easy to just crack and add.... Thoughts? Sources? Input? Debate?

Replies

• dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I get all my eggs from my organic CSA program so I'm not particularly worried about getting sick from them. That being said, I never let my kids have anything with raw egg, though I've been known to taste test cookie and cake batter from time to time.

Egg Nog or shakes made with raw egg have never, ever sounded appealing to me, so I can't say that I miss those!
  • ashesfromfire
    ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I live on a farm and raise my own chickens for eggs - I know what they eat and their living conditions, I'm an ethical farmer and I have no reason to think I can't eat them raw - My eggs are never for than 3 or 4 days old when I eat them, if not only a couple hours old - I can guarantee you thats a hellofa lot fresher than ones you'd buy at the store. I never worry about eating them raw.
    However - just because I also know about some of the disgusting large farming practices in the US I generally don't treat store bought eggs with the same respect and, on the off chance I have them, cook them through
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I live on a farm and raise my own chickens for eggs - I know what they eat and their living conditions, I'm an ethical farmer and I have no reason to think I can't eat them raw - My eggs are never for than 3 or 4 days old when I eat them, if not only a couple hours old - I can guarantee you thats a hellofa lot fresher than ones you'd buy at the store. I never worry about eating them raw.
    However - just because I also know about some of the disgusting large farming practices in the US I generally don't treat store bought eggs with the same respect and, on the off chance I have them, cook them through

THIS^^^ but I like my eggs well done regardless :D
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Hmm. We used to have something called Ponche that my aunt made for us in South America...you beat the egg whites till super fluffy...add sugar....beat more...add the yolk and give a spoon to all the children. Um. I have no idea where this recipe came from but we did this every summer and never got sick when eating raw eggs. I think you have a higher chance of getting sick from stuff like spinach nowadays. I'd probably just rinse the shell first to make sure it's nice and clean....