I could use some 30DS tips please

Options
Hi,

I started doing the 30 day shred on 1st Jan and I do it everyday except Sunday because I'd like to do it long term (It's the only exercise that doesn't demotivate me) so I give myself one rest day a week to keep me motivated to work towards that goal and so I can sustain it long term and don't throw in the towel.

I'm mostly following Natalie (so higher impact and harder exercises) but I'm still doing level one because I don't feel I'm doing it well enough to move on to level 2 yet as I'm struggling with the first circuit.

Pushups on my knees is fairly easy - I mean I'm happy when the times up, it's tiring and hard, but I can do it properly and feel like I should be working harder so I've started doing them properly. But when doing them properly I find them really, really hard and can only go about 1/3 of the way down - so not great. I feel like I'm in a bit of a no man's land where the one way is not pushing me hard enough and the other way is beyond me.

Any tips? At the moment I do the first set properly and the second set on my knees because I'm not which I should be doing.

The other problem I have is that while I have no problem with any of the other cardio, I just don't seem to be able to keep going with the jumping jacks and jump rope in circuit one. I don't feel out of breath - at least not that much, not so much that I would need to stop - but the muscles in my legs just seize up and won't move. I just can't make my legs cooperate. It's extreme muscle fatigue - and yet I have no problem with the rest of the level and do the last cardio circuit at high impact with no problems. It's so frustrating!

Any tips for that?

Replies

• SrClaire
    SrClaire Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Just to add/amend:

My husband just watched me shred and he said that I'm going 50% of the way down in the first set of push ups and 40% of the way down in the second (did proper push ups both sets today)

And that I only had to stop 3 times during the second lot of jumping jacks and once during the second lot of jump rope but that I was going twice the speed of the ladies in the video and only missed 4 movements in total.

So it's better than I thought but I'd still love to do it properly if anyone has any advice.
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Just some things that I would mention based on my own progression through the 30DS. (I've done it 2.5 times through and am on my "3rd" time now.)

You might be doing it too often. I only did 6 days in a row ONCE, and then I more or less did about 3 days on and one day rest. Bodies need to rest. Rest is arguably the most important part of a workout so that you have recovery time, which (I have read) is when you're muscle rebuilds itself and grows.

Second, you might want to move one to level 2 now. Your body is probably accustomed to L1 by now, and your muscles might not be progressing as well as they were at the start of January. In my first round of the 30 days, I couldn't do a single real pushup. After 37 days, I returned to L1, after completing the whole thing, and found I could do several real push ups.

Best of luck, and feel free to contact me with anything else, or for motivation. :happy:
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Move on to the next week, you can always go back and repeat the whole thing again later.
  • SrClaire
    SrClaire Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies :)

Will just move up to level 2 then and see how it goes :)

Hoping that once I'm fit I can do more on one day and have rest days in between (maybe the banish fat, boost metabolism workout instead) but right now I find it very hard to motivate myself after a rest day so doing whatever I can to just keep myself going and not give up.