Is there a time to stop eating?

Options
Hi MFP!
I was wondering if there is a specific time that I should stop eating. Like, is it bad to eat after 8pm or after 6pm? If so, why?

Replies

• Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    No, there's no magical time of the day where your body starts to function differently. Provided you have left enough calories aside to eat later at night, there is no scientific reason not to.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Stop eating when you go to sleep.

/thread
  • deladypilot
    deladypilot Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with the above poster. They used to say you should not eat after such and such time because your metabolism slows down at night. Newer research says it does not slow down enough to worry about. So as Nataliaho said, if you have the calories left, then go for it
  • EpicMeyri
    EpicMeyri Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot! I have heard so many different things.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot! I have heard so many different things.

Yes this myth is a common one. Personally I plan to eat a snack at night, I leave myself enough calories to do so... so there's no issue:)
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    when you are active in the day, your body stores food differently than when your metabolic rate slows down (sleeping...). I generally shut down the eating about 3 hours before bed. If I get hungry, I snack on veggies or a little fruit.
  • mzjessicaxo
    mzjessicaxo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Although there is no exact time, a good rule of thumb would be 2-3 hours before bed (unless you're active during that time)
  • mzjessicaxo
    mzjessicaxo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I'm glad we agreed :)
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    If you are going to eat late at night, try a slow absorbing protein (Casein..). Great to get in the body when it does its repair work at night. The right fuel at the right time makes all the difference in the world!

Good luck!