Exercise calories question (no, not the typical question)

Options
Got an exercise and exercise calories question (no, not the typical one that gets asked 500 times a day) - I play soccer3-4 times a week, which is a pretty big chunk of calories burned, but I play at night (often during dinner time) so I'm playing during the time I would normally be eating, or at least late at night when I can't be eating after the game. So basically with this system I find I often have a lot of extra calories left over that I just can't eat the day of my game(s), but then the next day I am often extra hungry so will go a couple hundred over my goal. Does that still all work out? My 'weekly total' is still usually right on target.

Replies

• notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I am just new to this site, but from reading posts it sounds about right. You can make it up the next day. Something I learnt from playing other sports, is that you might need to eat a little extra in the day before training/playing. Just to give a little more fuel.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Lots of people use a weekly goal instead of daily. No problem as long as you keep track although there's no reason you can't eat after your game if you want to.
  • MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I think your right. As long as it balances at the end of the week you should be fine. You super hungry the next day because you need more fuel, so you should let your body have it.
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Since you have a feel for the pattern, you can also pump up earlier in the day when you know you're going to play. That's what I do on days I know I'm going hiking after work.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    weekly is fine.. weight watchers carries over points for the weekend..calories shouldn't be any different.
    That's why I don't stress, why I go over one day..
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Since you have a feel for the pattern, you can also pump up earlier in the day when you know you're going to play. That's what I do on days I know I'm going hiking after work.

I try to do that a little bit, but it can be hard because sometimes I don't always know I'm going to be playing that night, or worse I think I'm going to play and then don't.

I'm also ok with the system of having a little extra calories at the end of the week so I can have a 'treat' something I would probably pass on to eat - but I just wanted a little confirmation that that still was ok. :)
  • kmgt
    kmgt Posts: 24
    Options
    New here too, but wanted to chime in.

I think it all evens out. When I was doing WW, a lot of people on there would start their "day" at dinner time and end at lunch/afternoon snack the next day. They found it easier to eat their big meal first and then adjust their breakfast and lunch based on how many points they had.
  • rhonajs
    Options
    I have the same issue...I eat a snack before Boxing...at 6pm...I go eat dinner...and usually have some calories left....I don't mind cause I do want to lose, however you will burn more if you can eat after cause you have your metabolism running.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Another thing you can do is adjust your "lifestyle" to include exercise. You can bump it up to moderate and have the same calorie goal day and NOT worry about eating back exercise calories.