Soy

2»

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Soy is horrible.

Japan lives on SOY BEAN which has excellent health benefits. America took soy, processed it, pumped chemicals into it and left us with soy milk which is the unhealthiest thing out there. It creates mucas in our bodies more than any other dairy product.
    ...They've been drinking soy milk in China since 25 AD. I think you may be reading too many tin foil hat type sites.
  • sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    I personally can't eat quantities larger than a few shakes of soy sauce on rice. Hello cramp city.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,156 Member
    Soy is horrible.

Japan lives on SOY BEAN which has excellent health benefits. America took soy, processed it, pumped chemicals into it and left us with soy milk which is the unhealthiest thing out there. It creates mucas in our bodies more than any other dairy product.
    Asians have been consuming tofu since the Han Dynasty, a couple thousand years ago.
  • hmadrone
    hmadrone Posts: 129 Member
    Soy is horrible.

The Japanese live on rice, fish, vegetables, and eggs. Meat and soy are condiments to give interest to the rice. A little tofu in the soup. A little soy sauce, a little miso.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    A key health message is to eat a variety of different foods, I wouldn't any more advise someone to eat processed soy numerous times a day than processed wheat or bananas numerous times a day. Foods can be highly beneficial in moderation but less healthy or even harmful when overeaten. Also combinations are important, eating soy products within a diet that is otherwise rich in vegetables and brown rice is not necessarily the same as eating soy products within a diet composed of vegetarian/ vegan ready meals or fast food.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Soy is horrible.

The Japanese live on rice, fish, vegetables, and eggs. Meat and soy are condiments to give interest to the rice. A little tofu in the soup. A little soy sauce, a little miso.

That doesn't change the fact that they consume tofu and other soy products quite often and in amounts that many, it seems, consider to be "dangerous".
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    i eat soy everyday and have no problems. my husband has soy milk on his cereal everyday and has no problems. i always get non-gmo soy but i really dont see why people get so worked up about it.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Soy is horrible.

Fact. The highest consumption of soy of any people group is among a group of Japanese monks who use it to inhibit libido. Soy is generally used in Asia as a condiment, not as an actual food, which is how we use it in the west. The average consumption of soy in Japan is 8 grams per day, whereas the FDA encouraged americans to eat 25 grams per day to prevent heart disease. Or at least it did, before the AHA revised its opinion that soy helped hearts at all.

It is detrimental because of the high amount of estrogen it contains. Studies show that male infants born to women with a diet high in soy may be born without fully descended genitals, and that young girls who eat a lot of soy can begin developing breasts at an unusually early age. Israel has outlawed the use of soy in infant formulas for this very reason.

Despite the sensationalistic title of this article, it is quite well researched and provides studies and links to all of the information I mentioned as well as much more: http://www.ourinterestingworld.com/health/shocking-effects-of-soy
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Ugh, I'm so sick of the phytoestrogen argument. You do know that flax seeds and most nuts actually have higher amounts of phytoestrogens in them that soy, right? Flax seed are actually the highest in phytoestrogens. Beans and peas are also high in phytoestrogens. As are most cereal grains (rice, wheat, etc.) Alfalfa sprouts are also high in phytoestrogens.

If soy is so bad because of all the phytoestrogens in it, then why are all these other foods not also demonized? Answer: because it's a false argument that doesn't actually hold up to the real science.
  • reklawn
    reklawn Posts: 112 Member
    ^Agreed. I would be more worried parabens and bishenol A than I would soy if I was so concerned about birth defects and other health issues.
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    It was years ago, buy my dad went a little overboard eating soy products for awhile and it ended up throwing his thyroid all off, his heart doctor made him stop eating it. But like the saying goes... all things in moderation.