Strength Training and Calories

Options
Ok so today I went to the gym. I walked on the treadmill and the elliptical. Then I did a lot of weight lifting exercises. I came back entered the walking and put in the weights. It counts the calories burned in aerobic exercised but nothing for weights. I spent more time lifting weights, got sweaty and really worked out and nothing. Does anyone know how to figure this?

Replies

• toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    you can enter strength training under cardio.
    mind you it's a wild guestimate
  • brown41stacy
    brown41stacy Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Put your weight lifting time in as circuit training. Unless you wear a counter you have to estimate.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    you can enter strength training under cardio.
    mind you it's a wild guestimate
    And you will probably be disappointed. Your body uses energy differently for stressing the muscles than for moving them all around.
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    There's a strength training entry under the cardio tab, enter your time spent there and it will give you the calories burned. The other spot is just for you to keep track of how many sets/reps you are doing
  • smae1980
    Options
    sorry those 3 responses must have been posted while I was typing
  • tabfjo
    tabfjo Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking! I was wondering the same thing!
  • bbgughj
    bbgughj Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Just log your cardio and surprise yourself with your weekly progressin strength training ....
  • smae1980
    Options
    Put your weight lifting time in as circuit training. Unless you wear a counter you have to estimate.

Don't do this. Strength training is not the same as circuit training. With strength training you do reps and rest between sets, so if you lift for 30 minutes, you might only be actually lifing for 20 minutes, the other 10 minutes was spent resting. With circuit training there is no rest and spurts of cardio are also incorporated. You burn a lot more calories during circuit training than strength training.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options

You will notice that the strength training is a very different number from the circuit training! Use the one you are engaged in.

For heavy lifting, a HRM is not an accurate way to calculate calories burned.