just started...

Options
Hi. I am new to this forum. I gained 20 lbs. and need to re-think my health issues. Want to eat better and thus I will then feel and even look better. I just want to think about eating healthy and feeling better.

Replies

• Karna6e
    Karna6e Posts: 57
    Options
    Good luck! You will find lots of support and motivation here!
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am new to this forum. I gained 20 lbs. and need to re-think my health issues. Want to eat better and thus I will then feel and even look better. I just want to think about eating healthy and feeling better.

Hi, and welcome to THE best site on the web! :flowerforyou:
    Between the easy to use food counter (which by the way is SUCH an eye opener!) and all the wonderfully supportive members, you WILL be able to lose the weight that you want to, AND, it'll "almost" be easy doing it! :wink:
    I recommend logging ALL your foods BEFORE you have them, rather than later, as it tends to lead to better food choices. (not to mention you'll know if you've got enough numbers left to have a night time snack, like I ALWAYS try to do!) Some people also like to weigh and measure some things, such as meats, rather than just estimating and possibly being WAY off! :noway:
    Don't go making the mistake that if you have LOTS of numbers left at the end of the day that you'll lose even faster, because that DOESN'T happen. Feel free to read any info about the site in the "help" section at the top of the home page. And also under "Community", then "Weight Loss and Healthy Living", then "general diet and weight loss help", and then check out the first few threads. They'll REALLY help you understand how MFP works. :smile:
    Before coming here, I had tried just about EVERYTHING out there, including hypnosis, TWICE, and nothing really worked until MFP! :love:
    Just the word "diet" would make me cringe and set me up for failure. :grumble: It meant depriving myself of all the "good stuff" out there, and as a result, I'd only last just so long, (maybe a few weeks if I was lucky!) and then I'd "cave" and go right back to eating all those "goodies" again! :embarrassed: :cry: But, MFP ISN'T a "diet". :noway: It's a "lifestyle change". :smile: (When I first read that, I said "Ya, SURE it is!", thinking that it WAS just another diet. :grumble: But, it wasn't! :noway:)
    The main reason that I've managed to lose the weight that I wanted to is because I HAVE been able to eat "real/good" foods. :bigsmile: (Not Slim Fast or any other easy, quick, fad "wacko" diets!:noway: ) Through MFP I learned that I just needed to "work for it", through exercise, and watching my numbers (MOST of the time! :wink: ) As long as I do that, I CAN occasionally have stuff like Chinese food, a double cheeseburger, pizza, and even homemade ice-cream! :love:
    As far as exercise goes, it doesn't always have to be awful. :noway: For my exercise, I walk almost every day, (weather permitting!:wink: ) I also dance to a fast oldies CD that my husband made up of all my favorite old songs. (Like "Love Shack", Wild, Wild West", "Mony, Mony", "Footloose", and "Gloria") :love: :happy:
    It's free, (unlike a gym!:grumble: ) fun, :smile: and I can even watch tv at the same time, so I never get bored! :happy:
    I also have Wii Fit, and jog to that, which is a lot of fun, and easy too! :smile:
    So, to make a LONG story short, make good food choices, eat in moderation, get some exercise, and you WILL lose the weight that you want to! :smile:
    MFP REALLY, REALLY, DOES work! :love: :happy: Give it a chance, and it WILL work for you too! :smile:
  • AdrienneLich
    Options
    Good luck. I know you can do it!
  • denisemac
    Options
    You Go SISTER! I've been here only about a week and I like it...it's great to track this stuff. I need total consistency and I think (although I'm no expert) this helps!

Denise
  • denisemac
    Options
    Hey...I like your "milestone" goals. I ought to think about setting those...mhm...:happy: :happy:
  • p_poppenhagen
    Options
    I agree... its lifestyle changes for me and choices :) not a diet :) I print my daily diary out so I have a visual also. It is only day 2 but I'm doing good. I heard it takes 21 days to create a habit. This is a lifestyle habit :) You are all so encouraging and that is what I have not had along my road. Thank you for the encouragement. I'm concerned about sodium in my diet. I seem to be getting a lot of that. Anything that will help me? I am trying to do more fruits and veggies for sure!!! I have been eating poorly for a long time. Thanks again.

Pam :)
  • itskojack
    Options
    im new here. my goal is to lose 36 pounds by the summer. i dont really know the benefits this site has
  • nenanvme
    nenanvme Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm new to this website and I wanted to say so far I like it. it has helped my count my calories and this week I lost 6lbs.. I also started the P90X which is the most diffecult workout i have ever done. I been going to the gym 5xweek since sept and only lost 8 lbs and in one week of watching my calories and working out I lost 6.. I'm so excited... I still have 50 more to go but i'm on track..thanks.
  • lwebsmfp
    lwebsmfp Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good luck to you! MFP is a great tool to use in order to get healthy and everyone is here to support you!
  • p_poppenhagen
    Options
    I have been meeting my goals and that for me is really exciting. I really watch my caloric intake and I really make good choices in foods that I eat. I am cutting out butter which in the beginning I thought would be impossible. I try to look at foods that I choose and ask myself is that going to hinder my body or heal my body? Apples, bananas, and so much more is healing to our bodies. I love cauliflower it tastes so good. My dad had a heart bypass and I was by his side the whole process. I will not be going through that no way!!! We grew up eating bacon and eggs and learned some unhealthy eating patterns. He now is eating healthier too. I decided I needed to change my eating patterns. I needed to choose better foods. This is such a gr8 site. At 48 it was time for me to make some changes so I did not end up in the hospital like my dad with a heart bypass. I thank God every day for this site. Everyone keep thinking about your goals and keep pressing on... we and our loved ones are worth every minute of this!