PROTEIN???

Options
I've been hearing a ton about how I should be eating 100+ grams of protein a day. I currently work out 5 days a week - a full-body cardio+strength circuit training routine 3x a week and plain old cardio on the other 3. You can check out my diary to see what I usually get. I think it's around 65-70 per day.

SO CONFUSED ABOUT ALL THIS PROTEIN STUFF!!! Why would mfp suggest such a comparably low number???

Replies

• Lefriedline
    Lefriedline Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I am wondering as well so would love to see some answers. Just recently, I switched my numbers around to 40% carbs, 40% protein, and 20% fats. I recently talked to a friend of mine who works at a supplement store and said that I needed more protein than what I was getting before. Over the last week, I have tried adding protein wherever I can and have actually dropped 3 pounds during the first week after hitting a plateau for many months. Still would like to hear more though on the ratio's others suggest...
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I've been hearing a ton about how I should be eating 100+ grams of protein a day. I currently work out 5 days a week - a full-body cardio+strength circuit training routine 3x a week and plain old cardio on the other 3. You can check out my diary to see what I usually get. I think it's around 65-70 per day.

SO CONFUSED ABOUT ALL THIS PROTEIN STUFF!!! Why would mfp suggest such a comparably low number???

MFP protein is a minimum based on the official guidelines. Loads of threads on this if you run a search.
  • Charbonie1
    Options
    Depends what your goals are...if you're trying to build some muscle you want to eat at least a gram of protein for each pound of muscle you currently have ---- that can be calculated from your body fat percentage.
  • BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    You're doing fine. Obsessing about imaginary Maco-nutrient targets, just isn't worth it.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    I suggest joining the group that posted this thread.

great info.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • hendinerik
    hendinerik Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I shoot for over 100, I have seen many people say as Charbonie1 says, I find it tough to get quite that much protein though, unless I add on on a shake or something.

Protein as I understand it is also supposed to help with recovery... For me I love it because stabilizes my blood sugar and I don't have the same rush and crash I do with sugar.
  • alvin0012
    alvin0012 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Eating at least 1g to 1.5 g of protein per bodyweight will help you build muscle. Having muscle will increase your metabolism. Having higher metabolism will increase your fat loss. You don't necessarily need to eat 1g / bodyweight. A high protein diet will lead you there especially since you workout 5x week.
  • mhwiggins
    mhwiggins Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have found mfp posts everything low. Calories,protien carbs.sodium etc.Don't be afraid to up the protien by at least half again!
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    .7 to 1g of lean body mass is a good guide. MFP is not a good guide in my view as the carb macro is too high for my preferences.
    To each their own of course, but weight loss is easier burning fat rather than glucose. If you have a lower carb (glucose) intake, you are a bit ahead of the game unless you do a lot of things to burn that glucose. This is a simplistic explanation, but in short, lower carb intake than the SAD is beneficial to balancing things out.
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    i normally eat more protein than what they say on here to fit my needs
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    the MFP protein recommendation is based off a 20+ year old FDA "RDI (recommended daily intake)". The science has already shown the benefits of higher protein intakes for active individuals. Sadly, the government has not revised their stance on protein intake considering the overwhelming amount of Americans that are mostly sedentary. When they make these recommendations, they do not account for age, gender, or level of activity and level of fitness. Like most things that are catered to our individual biologies, protein intake should be something you base from your lifestyle. The system is grossly antiquated, and most nutritional experts will agree now (if you were to actually speak to any of them) that protein is one of those things you can't have too much of. Since the nation is becoming more fitness and health aware, I would expect the RDI to change with the times. It's just lagging at this point.

100 grams protein is probably a good baseline recommendation assuming your active 5day/week lifestyle. It ensures that you are getting enough quality amino acids to support the progress of your workouts, and hopefully to advance in your training.

The governing agencies like to submit blanket RDI's often. "2000 calorie diet" being one of them, though a 5 year old or a 80 year old probably wouldn't need that. Just one of those things I hope will change soon!
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    If the government were interested in health then a change in the RDA/RDI would be expected and it's long overdue. Problem is that in my view carbs calories are much cheaper than protein in the SAD. Net result of recommending more protein (and presumably a a more healthy diet) is more expense/cost to do so. If healthy eating costs more, it can't automatically be the government recommendation. I don't agree with this of course, but it is what it is. In short, the government is not your go to source, partner or friend. For your internationals, referring to the USA only.