Breaking up is hard to do. Isn't it?

I made a decision today. It wasn't any easy one for me, but I finally have decided it's what I have to do. Our relationship is toxic to me. I always feel bad about myself and feel like I am always being beat down. I am breaking up- With my scale. For years, all I have focused on is the numbers I see when I stand on that stupid white square on the floor. And more than not, I am disappointed. It isn't what I expect, or even worse, it's up.
Fact of the matter is, I go to the gym 6 days a week. I eat relatively well. I feel good about my accomplishments when I finish a gym session. I do some kind of weights every day I'm at the gym, hitting it hard 1-2 times a week. I'm gaining muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat. I'm going to possibly gain before I lose. And every time I make the decision to get healthy and workout, it's the damn scale that beats me down until I quit. I can't do that anymore. While I want to lose weight, and will celebrate if I do, the ultimate goal isn't to reach xxx pounds, like I thought it was. It's to have a healthy life. And look great while I'm at it.
Weigh in's will now only occur on an occasional basis. When I feel like I have really made some progress.
I think this is really the only option I have. I can't quit. Not this time. I finally had to realize what it is that is truly important to me. And the number isn't it.

Replies

• JanelleSonnenberg1
    JanelleSonnenberg1 Posts: 35 Member
    I LOVE this!!!

The scale and I are on a long distance relationship....we only see each other once a week! :) After we visit, the scale travels back into the closet on the shelf!! :)

Great post :)
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 662 Member
    I don't weigh myself. I count belt loops. I'm down 5 loops since Oct 1st.
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    I have to admit I'm guilty of "using". I use my scale to laugh at the ridiculous numbers it tells me I am, then look in the mirror or slip into a pair of jeans fresh from the dryer that I used to have to lay on the floor & swiggle to get into & then get the jaws of life to get me back out :laugh:

My Muscle and I have a FANTASTIC relationship though! Very equal give & take I think. I give protein and heavier weights and it gives me satisfaction & strength. Couldn't imagine my life before Muscle :wink:
  • volleygirl1980
    volleygirl1980 Posts: 121 Member
    I've done the same - my plan is to weigh myself monthly. I started Jan 1st..caved and weighed myself on Jan 11th (lost 7 pounds - yay!) - but realized that wasn't sustainable and that the scale could turn on me at any moment, so, I dropped it off at my parents and will pick it up on Jan 31st.

I feel great. I've been working out a lot and eating quite healthy. Yesterday, I went to the local pool and swam laps - even though it was -29C outside. My son is 9 months now, and after he goes to bed at 8, I can go work out (my husband is very supportive). I've gone down a pant size.

I attribute this to not being so caught up with the numbers and giving it my best effort until the next weigh in!

Good luck!
  • LesaDave
    LesaDave Posts: 1,480 Member
    WONDERFUL!! And...take some measurements!! it will encourage you even more than the scale!!
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    You should consider meeting my good friend, measuring tape. He's a much cheaper date and a more accurate measure and tends to make you feel much better about yourself. ;)
  • Tdacks
    Tdacks Posts: 136 Member
    Me and the scale didn't talk for years, since 2007 specifically. The pressure of hitting a specific number weighed me down more than my actual body weight did.

I recently got back together with the scale, though. It is a trial reconciliation. Once a week visitations. I have to remember that it lies.