Question about ideal weight

Options
I am 5"5 and my beginning weight was 180, I am now 145 and my goal was 120. I am now a size 10 and those are a little loose, and I'm thinking a size 8 would be good and I'm thinking I may change my goal to 135 instead. I am almost happy with my body ( I think 10 more lbs would be perfect), but I was looking at my ideal weight and its 125 so I dont know whether I should shoot for that or just a size 8. My Dr thinks I'm perfect now but I want to lose a little more. Any advice? How did you pick your goal weight?

Disclaimer: I had a kidney stone today and am now on Vicodin so if this doesn't make sense I am high. sorry.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Stop worrying about weight and concentrate on your body composition. Lift heavy and have a small calorie deficit (20% less than TDEE or 250 calories a day) and do some cardio. You will see greater changes in body composition. Weight is meaningless. I can show you several cases where women gained 10-20 lbs and now have lean and tighter bodies.

I always say, weight loss makes you look good in clothes but fat loss makes you look good naked.
  • Black_Widow1976
    Black_Widow1976 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    5'5"

small frame:
    117-130

medium frame:
    127-141

large frame:
    137-155

Height under 5'2"
    Small = wrist size less than 5.5"
    Medium = wrist size 5.5" to 5.75"
    Large = wrist size over 5.75"
    Height 5'2" to 5' 5"
    Small = wrist size less than 6"
    Medium = wrist size 6" to 6.25"
    Large = wrist size over 6.25"
    Height over 5' 5"
    Small = wrist size less than 6.25"
    Medium = wrist size 6.25" to 6.5"
    Large = wrist size over 6.5"
  • EvaD12
    EvaD12 Posts: 49
    Options
    This is going to sound a bit odd but maybe don't pick a number just decide when you get there. I had 140 as mine but I'm pretty happy at 150 so I think I'll see how the next few weeks go and decide from there, focus on how I look and feel rather than a number on the scale.

Just an idea :)
  • amandapye78
    amandapye78 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    5'5"

small frame:
    117-130

medium frame:
    127-141

large frame:
    137-155

Height under 5'2"
    Small = wrist size less than 5.5"
    Medium = wrist size 5.5" to 5.75"
    Large = wrist size over 5.75"
    Height 5'2" to 5' 5"
    Small = wrist size less than 6"
    Medium = wrist size 6" to 6.25"
    Large = wrist size over 6.25"
    Height over 5' 5"
    Small = wrist size less than 6.25"
    Medium = wrist size 6.25" to 6.5"
    Large = wrist size over 6.5"

Ok that helps, I am medium frame so YAY. Thats perfect.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I believe weight is meaningless only at point. Sure, there's small variations such as a 130 pound woman with a tighter body and less body fat, as opposed to being 115 lbs and considered "skinny fat." At 180 lbs however, I doubt that she's going to have a better body than at 135 pounds.
  • amandapye78
    Options
    This is going to sound a bit odd but maybe don't pick a number just decide when you get there. I had 140 as mine but I'm pretty happy at 150 so I think I'll see how the next few weeks go and decide from there, focus on how I look and feel rather than a number on the scale.

Just an idea :)
    Yeah this is kind of why I picked 135 instead of 120, because I'm almost completely happy now, so I'm thinking 10 more lbs will do it. I will see how I feel when I get there (or before). I figure as long as I'm no longer overweight its kind of up to me now , at least thats what my dr said
  • Black_Widow1976
    Black_Widow1976 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    it does help..for me my weight range is 125-155 but i am 5'6" with a small frame.
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    No, never mind.
  • amandapye78
    Options
    I believe weight is meaningless only at point. Sure, there's small variations such as a 130 pound woman with a tighter body and less body fat, as opposed to being 115 lbs and considered "skinny fat." At 180 lbs however, I doubt that she's going to have a better body than at 135 pounds.

Oh absolutely lol.. My whole job is weight lifting lol and a lot of cardio so exercise really isn't a problem
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Weight is just a number that may not mean what we want to believe it to mean.

I'm just under 5'6" and go between 145-149lbs, I'm a size 7 or 9 slacks & usually Small tops unless it's a fitted shirt in which case I need a Medium due to my broad shoulders. This profile pic is me a couple weeks ago - most do not believe I am at the weight I am, but I'm also around 18.6% body fat.

Hope this helps you realize you don't need a set "weight", just change your mindset & focus on how you feel & the ultimate look you want to achieve.
  • amandapye78
    Options
    No, never mind.

What?
  • RoadsterGirlie
    Options
    Congrats on getting so close to your goal, btw. I bet you feel wonderful!
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I was going into why "ideal" weights are not a good point of reference, but I haven't the energy. Nothing nobody else hasn't already said. Number is arbitrary. Go for body fat percentage or something instead.
  • amandapye78
    Options
    I was going into why "ideal" weights are not a good point of reference, but I haven't the energy. Nothing nobody else hasn't already said. Number is arbitrary. Go for body fat percentage or something instead.

OK I was starting to think the Vicodin hit harder then I thought and I had missed something lol
  • Goldenwoof
    Goldenwoof Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    According to the height/weight charts online, my so-called "ideal weight" should be somewhere between 160-180. If you ask me, that's a load of crapola. About 15 years ago, I got down as low as 171, and was told by people that I looked "emaciated." Also, trying to maintain a weight under 180 was constant work. Both in terms of exercising and watching what I ate. And I don't wanna live my life having to constantly work at maintaining what I consider to be an unrealistic weight.

My comfort zone is between 185-190, which is what I'm shooting for. When I'm there, I can maintain it by living a normal life: eating healthy and exercising three or four days a week. I don't have to go crazy with the exercise and I can have the occasional cheat day food-wise and still maintain that wait. And more importantly, my sanity. :)

So if you wanna adjust your goal weight up a bit, go for it! Don't worry about what your goal weight SHOULD be. Pick a weight that works for you, that makes you happy, get there and be happy.
  • Heatherurban75
    Heatherurban75 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am the same height and also struggled with the "perfect goal number" and then decided to just focus on fitness and now I am lean and fit and I don't care any more! You'll know when you are there :) Congrats on your success!!!
  • zagrath769
    zagrath769 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am now 262 and want to get down to 150. I picked 150 because it's what I weighed in high school and I was a size 12 then (sometimes a 10 depending on the designer). It's a little over what I'm "supposed" to weigh, but I don't care. I think I'll be happy there and comfortable. If not, I'll go a little further down.
  • amandapye78
    Options
    I am now 262 and want to get down to 150. I picked 150 because it's what I weighed in high school and I was a size 12 then (sometimes a 10 depending on the designer). It's a little over what I'm "supposed" to weigh, but I don't care. I think I'll be happy there and comfortable. If not, I'll go a little further down.

Thats kind of what I did, 120 was what I was in Highschool so thats why I picked that number but now looking back a pics now I'm thinking I looked too skinny so I thought 135 would be a healthy weight that would look good on me.
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Heck, forget the scale and forget the tape measure. Look in the mirror. Unless you have some body image issues, the mirror (or photos) will tell you whether you need to lose any more weight.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    Options
    Yeah had I picked my high school weight, it would have put me at around 110. Way too thin for somebody who's 5'9". That's how I got into trouble and packed on the pounds later on - I figured I was one of those folks who was just naturally underweight, and didn't have to worry about eating healthy or counting calories...

I LOL at that now...