Exercise and the flu.

Options
Ugh, I've been sick with the flu/bronchitis since saturday. and i've been doing what cardio i can, but Its not much. however Im still doing my strength exercises. But I'm so worried about losing muscle mass from being bed ridden, any tips or advice?

Replies

• woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    You won't lose muscle mass over one week, just eat what protein you can and don't spread the germs ;)
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Don't exercise. Your body needs all the rest that it can get. Your lungs need a break, esp if you have Bronchitis. You aren't going to lose muscle mass in a week or two, that takes months. However, your body will tire quicker once you have recovered.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Rest, eat at maintenance, push fluids, do not worry about exercise - you need to recover before you go back to your workoust. Check in with your doc if your respiratory symptoms get bad as you can get a secondary pneumonia.
  • heylookitspancakes
    Options
    My instructor in class told me that you could lose up to 20% of your muscle mass from being bed ridden, thats why I'm SO worried. (I tend to overstress too though)
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Exercising with infection (bronchitis) is not okay. I learned the long way. And got told off by my GP :/
    Stop. Rest. A week or two won't matter.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Don't exercise. Your body needs all the rest that it can get. Your lungs need a break, esp if you have Bronchitis. You aren't going to lose muscle mass in a week or two, that takes months. However, your body will tire quicker once you have recovered.

^that!
    You don't lose 20% of your muscle mass in week. Get your rest.
  • heylookitspancakes
    Options
    My biggest problem is resting. I'm a very active person and I'm always on the go, this is the first time I've ever had the flu, but I get bronchitis a couple times a year (i know that's pretty bad, i'm an ex smoker) So its so hard for me to not go to the gym. But will doing mild strength training be too much?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    My instructor in class told me that you could lose up to 20% of your muscle mass from being bed ridden, thats why I'm SO worried. (I tend to overstress too though)

I think you would have to be bed ridden for a month for this to happen...

one week of resting is not going to make your muscle wither away...
  • heylookitspancakes
    Options
    Okay well, I'm starting to feel better about the muscle mass thing. Thank-you everyone for your posts. This rest thing is gonna be pretty hard. ugh.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    you MUST rest. Your body cannot possibly heal if you are over working it.

During an infection, there are countless things that your body is doing to restore homeostasis and you have no idea it's happening.

REST
  • cheerchicksie
    cheerchicksie Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    if your body is fighting off an illness, it already will expend energy doing that. i know it seems hard to put your workout aside for a few days, but your body needs the energy to fight off the flu/bronchitis. if you exercise, it's going to need even more energy to repair itself...and most likely, it's going to eat at your muscle mass because it's a better energy source.

so basically, you could be degenerating muscle mass if you exercise while you're sick. if you HAVE to workout, do something extremely low-key, like a short walk or something.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    As the others have said, REST! Your body needs rest to recover from your illness. If you try to work out, it just prolong your sickness and take even longer to get well.

I know it's hard not to work out. I'm one of those people who just hate sitting around and it's hard for me to rest when I need to.:ohwell: However, you can still use this time to catch up on other things, such as reading, watching movies, organizing pictures, etc. You'll still feel productive but gain some rest and recovery too!

Eat well, drinks lots of fluids and take it easy. You'll be back at your workouts much sooner if you do!:flowerforyou:
  • chimp517
    chimp517 Posts: 185 Member
    Options

I just had the flu and did nothing but lay in bed and watch tv. Lost about 8 lbs but gained it back within 2 days when I resumed my normal meals.
  • liquidpete24
    Options
    It's hit Chicago pretty bad, I felt like I was going to die over New year's, I am doing what I can when I can, but it rebounds here and there, back to the doctor on Thursday.
  • NancyWtby
    Options
    Get rest, plenty of fluids and more rest. You can pick up your workout anytime after you recover. Don't push yourself "REST"!!
  • eandrsmom
    eandrsmom Posts: 119
    Options
    Rest!!!! I had the flu over thanksgiving and I couldn't lift my head off the pillow, let alone lift weights. I dropped 10 pounds in a week, a few pounds of which was muscle. Within two weeks both my weight and muscle mass was back to where it should have been. It took me nearly a month to make it through a full workout, so give your body time to recover!!!! Feel better-and don't share! ;-)
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Please don't go to the gym while sick. It's not nice to share germs.
  • s_reynolds777
    s_reynolds777 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Funny, I just googled this today as I started to feel a little under the weather and I'm hoping I don't get sick in which I cant work out. I read that if it's just in your head and no fever it's ok to work out but don't overdo it. However if you have a fever don't work out cause it could raise your body temp even more to an unsafe level. Also they mentioned not working out if you're having breathing troubles (like bronchitis). They did say once you're starting to fell a bit better, try yoga or something to keep up the muscle but not overdo it on the cardio. Hope this helps, it did for me.