Calcium Supplement

Options
I have been training for the past 2 months for an 8k run. Everything was going great and I am excited about the race. Then my ankle started giving me problems. It would not get better with rest, ice etc. so I finally broke down and went to the doc. They xrayed and said they suspect a stress fracture but even worse, that my bone density is bad. I had a hysterectomy 2 years ago and never supplemented with calcium. I am running my race next Sunday and I will finish but I have to get serious about the calcium. My question: Does anyone have any input/experience with a Rx that are available (Boniva? Sally Fields is the only one I know about) Side effects or any info would be appreciated. thanks

Replies

• drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    My hyst was 'many' years ago (almost 30 years ago)...I have always supplemented with Citracal with D and Magnesium... but a couple of other things to watch or try to change is the intake of caffeine and carbonated drinks - they are calcium theives. :flowerforyou: You asked about the Rx items out there... my Mom took Bonva and the Flomax... they didn't help and they upset her stomach and too she was much, much older than what we are. :flowerforyou:
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    I don't know much about the perscriptions, but I did see something the other day on TV. I think it might have been the today show. But it was talking about a bone supplement that when taken over the long term actual caused the bones to be MORE brittle. So long term effects of these are still unknown. So make sure you do your research!! Regardless, a calcium citrate supplement is the best thing to start with. Make sure you are getting vit D and magnesium with it. We only absord about 30-40% of calcuim that we take in. D and Mag will help with the absorbsion. Good luck!! I hope you get to run!!
  • mimi7grands
    mimi7grands Posts: 616
    Options
    Her dentist told my mom to be cautious about Fosamax. There's a connection to a serious jaw problem. I checked online and saw several articles about it, including from Mayo Clinic.
  • stringsNlinks
    stringsNlinks Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Thakns everybody ... that gives me a good starting place to do some of my own research. Enjoy the weekend!