Protein Intake???

My protein intake is always higher than it should be...Does this affect my weight loss or gain?

Replies

• djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    if you workout you want more protein think of it more like a goal to get over not to stay under
  • katrinajMiles
    katrinajMiles Posts: 71 Member
    I don't think it is a huge issue as long as you are eating lean proteins. Especially if you are working out from my understanding protein fuels the mussel meaning you will build more increasing your fat burn...
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    The default 15% is really low. You might consider refiguring your macros to make your protein higher. I go by the 1gram protein per lb Lean Body Mass method, which works out to 30% for me. Fat should be a minimum of 0.38grams per pound of body weight. Carbs can fill in the balance.
  • Sorie44
    Sorie44 Posts: 19 Member
    http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/ART02705

Here is an article written by Dr Weil. He says that when you eat too much protein the body has to work harder to burn the calories. Interesting article.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    The default is pretty low. I'm doing 25% protein myself. Your fine its one of the good things to go over with.
  • I was also told i need to eat more protein and as stated it is one of the good things to go over. Just make sure its lean and not fatty. Protein gives u energy
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    I disagree with everyone saying your protein has to be "lean". If you're not counting calories or watching your macros, that's a solid tip to be able to limit your total calories, but since (I'm assuming) everyone here is counting calories, you can have whatever cuts/types of protein you like, as long as you accurately account for the fat in your log and stay within your calories and macro goals. Fat is good for you- Fat doesn't make you fat.
  • shlevon
    shlevon Posts: 30 Member
    My protein intake is always higher than it should be...Does this affect my weight loss or gain?

In a positive way, yes. With a given amount of calories daily (1500 or whatever the specific value is), all else constant and within reason, higher protein diets are more satiating and tend to lead to better composition of weight lost (i.e. more fat, less muscle). These are good things. The values in mfp are way too low, in my opinion. I'd set protein intake to at least 30% of energy intake when attempting to lose weight/fat, personally.
  • binknbaby
    binknbaby Posts: 207 Member
    I disagree with everyone saying your protein has to be "lean". If you're not counting calories or watching your macros, that's a solid tip to be able to limit your total calories, but since (I'm assuming) everyone here is counting calories, you can have whatever cuts/types of protein you like, as long as you accurately account for the fat in your log and stay within your calories and macro goals. Fat is good for you- Fat doesn't make you fat.

I can't tell you how happy I am to hear someone else say this!!! I've had so many nutritionists tell me this, but all the fitness "gurus" have this ungodly fear of fat. America in general has this fear of fat... and as long as it's from a reputable source (ie. not a trans-fat, which is nearly impossible to metabolize properly), it will do no harm in moderation (like everything else). It can even be good for you! It helps to absorb fat-soluble vitamins (like A, K, E), and is absolutely ESSENTIAL for neurological health. Long-chain amino acids are what make up the myelin sheaths on our nerves, and if we don't have enough, it's like improper insulation on a wire--you'll short out. I actually got through post-partum depression with the help of adding more fat into my diet. It's wonderful.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    15% protein intake is suggested for the "standard American". With that. they get the proper amount of protein.

The standard American is NOT on a reduced calorie diet. The standard American is NOT exercising.

Simply reducing calories would require the percentage of protein in your diet to go up (you need a set amount of protein, not actual percent, so as you eat less, you still need the same amount as before). Adding exercise in will require more protein as well.

As a rule of thumb, about 30% tends to do well for most people on here.