MyFitnessPal destroys metabolisms?

Anybody else feel like the calorie recommendations are far too low? I think it's a recipe for hunger and disaster.

Replies

• jj1973
    jj1973 Posts: 131 Member
    Fitness pal calculated mine to be the same as Jenny Craig recommended, so ....maybe it's ok?
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Then adjust them to your liking. Those are just a suggestion. Go to My Home - Goals - Change Goals - Custom. Problem solved. You gotta figure out what the right calories are on your own.
  • Charz612
    Charz612 Posts: 38 Member
    I'm not sure, but it seems too low in comparison to the calculations I have done and recommendations in regard to BMR and TDEE. I am trying to figure out if I should alter mine. It's at 1400 and I find that reletively easy to do especially as I eat back all my exercise calories but, I really want to lose weight in the most healthy way possible.
  • StrongAndHealthyMommy
    StrongAndHealthyMommy Posts: 1,255 Member
    I think it is OK unless you are planning on no working out at all
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    If you feel your cals are too low then change them. There are no MFP police that come to your house and force you to only eat 1200 calories. There has to be a point where you are responsible for your own decisions about your body. The key is to educate yourself. There are literally hundreds of threads on how to calculate your #s and how to eat more to lose weight. Be informed - and make your own decisions and don't be scared to alter your calorie goals here if they are not right for you. It's like the people that blindly follow their GPS directions and drive off a cliff or into a lake - technology can only do so much and there has to be a point where our educated minds override it when necessary.
  • Charz612
    Also, I don't feel hungry really and I have been losing weight so as far as that goes it's ok, but I'm not sure it's right.
  • Charz612
    Ready2Rock, I have been questioning if I should change my goals on here. Thanks for that advice, I am going to do it tonight!! Cheers lovely lady!!
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Ive done plenty of research and never used the suggested goals. I just wish they would change whatever formula it is that they use. I'm worried about other users hurting their metabolisms or developing EDs. People seem to think that losing weight is the same thing as success. Often its not. Often its a horrible ratio of muscle loss to fat loss.

The best way to start a diet is start your calories high and tweak them down 100 every few weeks until you hit a healthy rate of fat loss. You must ignore the first few weeks due to water fluctuations and what not and women need to take into account that menstrual cycles can effect weight a lot.

MFP needs to fix this. They are misleading people and a lot of people use this software.

CHANGE THE DAMN FORMULA!
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    If you feel your cals are too low then change them. There are no MFP police that come to your house and force you to only eat 1200 calories. There has to be a point where you are responsible for your own decisions about your body. The key is to educate yourself. There are literally hundreds of threads on how to calculate your #s and how to eat more to lose weight. Be informed - and make your own decisions and don't be scared to alter your calorie goals here if they are not right for you. It's like the people that blindly follow their GPS directions and drive off a cliff or into a lake - technology can only do so much and there has to be a point where our educated minds override it when necessary.

ill just quote this cuz its spot on
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member

Brilliant!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Ive done plenty of research and never used the suggested goals. I just wish they would change whatever formula it is that they use. I'm worried about other users hurting their metabolisms or developing EDs. People seem to think that losing weight is the same thing as success. Often its not. Often its a horrible ratio of muscle loss to fat loss.

The best way to start a diet is start your calories high and tweak them down 100 every few weeks until you hit a healthy rate of fat loss. You must ignore the first few weeks due to water fluctuations and what not and women need to take into account that menstrual cycles can effect weight a lot.

MFP needs to fix this. They are misleading people and a lot of people use this software.

CHANGE THE DAMN FORMULA!

well, I was recommended 1750calories. After calculations with my bf% and inches etc I came out to be around 1850. Thats BESIDES my workouts which MFP recommends I eat back the calories. For pretty much everybody around here MFP have been off by only 100-150 calories which is understandable since those recommendations are without measurements. I think you might be doing something wrong there skipper
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member

CHANGE THE DAMN FORMULA!

Or... you could create your own free website, smartphone app. :flowerforyou:
  • sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    From what I understand, MFP expects people to do at least 30 minutes of exercise a day and to eat back the calories that exercise burns. That'll usually put a person around the 1500cals a day range, sometimes more depending on the amount of exercise done.
    Likewise as previously stated it IS just a suggestion. If anything we need to remind noobies not to sweat it if they eat over 1200 and likewise that 1200 is the absolute lowest a fully grown female should ever eat. TDEE and BMR come in handy for this.

Personally I've been finding that 1270 as a suggestion doesn't feel too bad for me, presuming I spend my day entirely sedentary literally laying down in bed looking for work online.

Personally? I'll admit that the reccomendation has probably toyed with my head a little bit but I was never very healthy in the head to begin with. In the end it's up to me to remind myself of the above and, above all, to do my best to take care of myself.
  • Bumbeen
    Bumbeen Posts: 263 Member
    I eat 900kcal a day and I have zero hunger. Well except today when I had my cheat meal and I ate over 3000 LOL
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    no. plus it's all adjustable.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    They're not unique. Most diets set the calories around 1200 for a woman, more if she is breastfeeding. Ediets is around 1200. Weight Watchers is around 1200 and 1300 with their points system. Even my doctor recommended 1200.

I would prefer it if these programs chose long term success over quick results. 1200 is way too low for very heavy people or very active people. MFP is unique because you can eat back your calories. I think WW has this option now, too.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    The recommendations are based on the basically same formula's all the other calculators are. People set their expectations too high and activity levels too low. I will say that sedentary is not sedentary and unless you are pretty much not ambulatory, you should not be on this setting and this is not clear.

Oh, and saying it will destroy metabolism is rather an exaggeration. If you set your weight loss goal to the recommended target of 1lb a week, the couple of hundred it may be off will not destroy metabolisms at all.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    MFP's system works fine as long as people a) eat back their exercise calories and b)are honest about their activity level.

not sure how it's MFPs responsibility to make sure people are doing what they are supposed to do
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Why are the calorie recommendations too low? The calorie recommendations are tied specifically to the settings that YOU put in. And they're limited at 2lbs/week which is a pretty good upper limit. If you have 10lbs to lose and you want to lose 2lbs a week then yes, the recommendation is going to be quite low but that's your own fault, not the application's. If you put in reasonable goals this application will give you reasonable calorie settings. Simple and easy!
  • pen2u
    pen2u Posts: 224 Member
    Find what works for you and do it. Or don't. The rest of us are fine, happy, losing weight and getting fit. Before MFP I talked a lot about needing to watch what I ate, get more exercise, yadda yadda yadda. MFP makes me accountable, gives me support, structure and consistency. I could have continued sitting on my butt yakking about it, but I'd still be 33+ lbs heavier and out of shape. BTW, my diet has slowly changed over the past year and a half as my body awareness has increased. You're not stuck with something that isn't right for you; change it as necessary.