Who still works out when they're tired?

Options
At this day and age,I know we're all tired.I'm talking sleep deprived or having a long run of not having much sleep.Do you still work out when you are tired and not push yourself as hard or opt to miss the workout that day?
There are people that don't really have the option of 8,let alone 12 hours sleep.Like new parents or shift workers for example.If that was the case and people just chose to miss their workout,due to being tired, then that's not exactly a win.Is it?don't like missing out on my workout and I'm a much happier person for it.
What are your thoughts on this?

Replies

• Bumbeen
    Bumbeen Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I never workout if I have been sleep deprived, I make sure to always get a good nights rest before and after. If I had no option, I would just take things slower and lower the intensity.
  • demilade
    demilade Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I try not to miss a day but sometimes I'm just too tired. I have a newborn and no aircon so on those 40degree days I tend to skip it. I have a rule that I can't miss more than 1 day in any 10 days.
  • devastation77
    Options
    Not if I'm exhausted, no way.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I work 2nd shift, sometimes not getting home until midnight, and get up by 6:30 to take my daughter to school.
    Then I go work out after that.
    I would say that I only ease up on my work out if I haven't been to the gym for awhile and I need to protect myself from injury.
    Otherwise, tired or not, I still try to get in a good work out.
    My biggest issue is hydration.
    I'm an RN and if I'm really busy, I don't drink as much water as I should.
    So if I'm dehydrated, then my work out is a beast...
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Depends on my fatigue level. If I am just groggy or tired, the exercise usually rejeuvenates me and I am good to go again. If, however, I have not really slept well over a period of time and am "dog tired"... I find the sleep does me more good... Many times, I find that if I am "groggy tired" what my body is actually craving is activity but it thinks it wants sleep... Same thing holds true for eating sometimes... A strong desire for sweets is often the result of being tired and if I just increase my activity level, it balances things out; .. all in all... it depends.
  • jj1973
    jj1973 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I try not to miss my workout and if I do it is generally not due to fatigue. If I expect I might wear down before I get home and to my workout, I will make time during the work day to get in a 20 minute walk. Sometimes it is just the energy boost I needed!
  • sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Like Kdeux said it depends on my level of fatigue. If I'm stone cold exhausted, nauseated and my head is spinning whenever I stand, like hell if I'm getting on the treadmill. At most I'll take a leisurely walk and focus more on my food intake and eating properly because obviously my blood sugars aren't where they oughta be.

However if I'm just a little laggy because it's been a long day or something, I'll do my damndest to try full cardio as hard as I can.

Idk...does that sound reasonable?
  • RoseDarrett
    RoseDarrett Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I try not to miss a day but sometimes I'm just too tired. I have a newborn and no aircon so on those 40degree days I tend to skip it. I have a rule that I can't miss more than 1 day in any 10 days.

Yep,I hear ya.I have a 9 yr old,2 yr old and a 17 week old.Lucky I have airconditioning otherwise I would die.I like your rule as well.It's very doable :)
  • RoseDarrett
    RoseDarrett Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Depends on my fatigue level. If I am just groggy or tired, the exercise usually rejeuvenates me and I am good to go again. If, however, I have not really slept well over a period of time and am "dog tired"... I find the sleep does me more good... Many times, I find that if I am "groggy tired" what my body is actually craving is activity but it thinks it wants sleep... Same thing holds true for eating sometimes... A strong desire for sweets is often the result of being tired and if I just increase my activity level, it balances things out; .. all in all... it depends.

Thanks this makes sense :)
  • emzypemzy93
    Options
    Always.
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    In the last 6 months I've missed 1 workout due to fatigue, an early morning run that I couldn't face on 4 hours of sleep. Stayed in bed for another hour and half and went running after work instead. Sorted. Where there's a will there's a way - I give my workouts a very high priority.
  • lbmore33
    lbmore33 Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    since I enjoy running....some of my best runs seem to be when I dont feel like it.. sometimes it may take 45 mins b4 the light comes on...but when it's on...then so am I............
  • Ellyabell
    Ellyabell Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    If I wouldn't workout even though I am tired I would get hardly any workout at all. I normally sleep between 5-6 hours. I am aiming for 7-7.5 hours each night but that hardly ever happens.

So yes, I workout when I am tired. If it's been less than 4 hours sleep for more than one night I may consider skipping one workout and get some sleep, but everything else is just my normal routine.

Oh, and I normally feel much better afterwards, even if dragging myself to the gym was a fight.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    i don't miss workouts. tired or otherwise
  • roiLEI1554
    Options
    as a member of track, we have to show up no matter what so yes, i've run and did strength training when running off of 2 hours of sleep
    but its definitely not something i'd recommend, though it's better to exercise when sleepy than when dehydrated
  • ShiraDarling
    ShiraDarling Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have trouble sleeping.. but I don't use that as an excuse to miss a workout. Take tonight for example, I slept for 2 hours, and I'm heading to the gym at 4:30 for a 2 hr session. I'm just so used to it after years of not sleeping well, so it doesn't seem to affect me much . Often times I work out harder running on zero sleep.
  • uwdawg07
    uwdawg07 Posts: 372
    Options
    I always work out when I'm tired. I find it actually helps wake me up a bit and makes me feel better.
  • mkanak
    mkanak Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I do, I start with a 30 min run and I feel like I just woke up!
  • capriqueen
    capriqueen Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    I do, on most days I don't wake up before 7 am so I have no time in the morning to workout, so I need to do it at 10 or 11 pm, after I get back home.