Working out with hypoglycemia?

Options
sissiluv
sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
I don't doubt in the least that my sugars are low lately. I've been constantly dizzy (feeling heavy headed even when sitting down ffs) and my cognitive skills haven't been up to par, which are the two biggest alarm bells in my experience of dealing with this. I've been diagnosed with this since I was 17 or thereabouts. Because of this I've been trying to focus on keeping my protein levels up and taking in complex carbs, etc though I'll grant I probably haven't been doing the best. Mental roadblocks have been making eating difficult.

My question is related to exercise though. What exercises should I do when I'm feeling this way? A leisurely stroll doesn't seem like much and honestly my first instinct is to take it easy.
So, suggestions?
Thanks. c:

Replies

• babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    avoid overhead exercise and exercises laying down. so for weights:

squats
    lunges
    rows and raises (raises not past shoulders)
    curls and pulldowns/pushdowns
    machine flys
    cable standing flys
    etc

and for cardio avoid high intensity and opt for low intensity walking/jogging or other light cardio exercises
  • sissiluv
    Options

squats
    lunges
    machine flys
    cable standing flys
    etc

and for cardio avoid high intensity and opt for low intensity walking/jogging or other light cardio exercises
    Sweet, thanks!
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options

squats
    lunges
    machine flys
    cable standing flys
    etc

Sweet, thanks!

thats fine i love to help! i learnt this during my fitness certificates so far.
  • sissiluv
    Options

squats
    lunges
    machine flys
    cable standing flys
    etc

Sweet, thanks!

thats fine i love to help! i learnt this during my fitness certificates so far.
    Double sweet. My doctor, much as I love him, hasn't been much of a help so I'll definitely be looking into those exercises. Would you have any nutritional advice beyond the typical 'more protein, lots of small meals eaten regularly, complex carbs' basics? c:
  • rberends
    rberends Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    It might be a good idea to talk to your doctor and perhaps get a glucose meter. With a perscription, the test strips can be relatively inexpensive and would give you a better idea as to what your glucose levels are actually running. If you are feeling dizzy, light headed, and your thinking is slow or fuzzy, then checking your blood is quick and relatively painless. If your blood sugars are below 80 (for non-diabetics) then you are experiencing a low blood sugar and should drink or eat at a min 15 grams of carbs immediately (foods that contain dexstrose, like Smarties or glucose tabs, work the fastest, but more complex sugars will also work). Check your blood sugar again in 15 min and if still low, treat again. Avoid protiens and fats as they will slow down the absorbtion of the sugar in your system. I would also avoid any exercise while you are feeling that way. If you are exercising, and you do experience these sypmtoms, you should stop, test your self, and consume the 15grams of sugar if low. If you continue to exercise while feeling this what would happen if your blood sugar dips lower and you pass out? Or what if you become disoriented? You could easily fall and potentially seriously hurt yourself on the exercise equipment. If this is a common occurance you should speak to your doctor. Good luck!
    Ray
  • uwdawg07
    uwdawg07 Posts: 372
    Options
    Don't work out if your blood sugar is low! That's just asking for trouble. Always test your numbers and make sure you're at least 100 when you start working out. And if you start feeling yucky during exercise, stop and test your numbers. If you're low, eat something and wait until it's back up to continue.

I have severe hypoglycemia and deal with this every time I exercise. You have to be safe!