Iron Suppliment

Options
JayStu
JayStu Posts: 332 Member
I went to donate blood last week and I was almost denied because the iron test they do came up below the lower acceptable level luckily they tested again and it just passed. Now usually I have a very high iron count but recently I have been eating a lot of chicken and the seldom serving of red meat. I take a multi vitamin but I was wondering if anyone else takes iron suppliments as well as a multi vitamin to make sure the level is kept in a normal range?

Replies

• Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Huh… I have been doing the same thing… I have been getting dizzy now and again, but never considered that I may be low on iron...
  • sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I was on iron suppliments a little while ago for low iron levels. Supposed to take it with calcium tablets so it absorbs better. I'd honestly reccomend getting a blood test though, because you don't want to get TOO much iron either.
    Multi-vitamins are good. I'd say if you're honestly worried about low iron but can't afford to get your blood tested, take prenatals. Sounds weird I know but thats what our doctor suggested for my mom and her chronic low iron versus an outright suppliment, as she wasn't quite low enough to warrant that I suppose? Either way.
  • chelle_fri
    chelle_fri Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I take an iron supplement along with a multivitamin that does not contain iron. My doctor has diagnosed me as anemic, and since taking the supplements it really has really helped with my energy, bruising, and an array of other things. There are other ways to meet your daily iron needs since I doubt you are so severely low that you require a supplement which should be used only when necessary.

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/raise-iron-level-supplements-4850.html

This is a quick break down. So before you go taking supplements, figure out what your true needs are. :happy:
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Spinach, beets,quinoa, wild rice, red meat if you eat it, eggs etc etc. Processed iron pills cause constipation. Eat the iron in it's natural form and your body will thank you for it. I am anemic and drink beet, and spinach juice daily with vitamin C. The vitamin C helps the iron absorb. Caffeine stops it from absorbing. Good luck.