Meals for two ... on no budget

Options
13»

Replies

• RobinC37
    RobinC37 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Buy a whole chicken every week and boil it. You get a nice broth to use as a base for soups too. I then shred the meat and use it in sandwiches, salads, tacos, stews, stir-fry.

Buy the "ugly vegetables" aka the ones that aren't pre-sliced, pre-bagged, still have dirt on them. That saves a lot.
  • Snowbound5
    Snowbound5 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I don't have any advice, but, am wondering the exact same thing as I am in the same boat.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Buy a whole chicken - about £3.50 in the UK. Have it roast on Sunday, then the rest of the week make curry, risotto, sandwiches, stir fries, salads - whatever takes your fancy. When you've just got bones left, make soup.

This is what I do. For $10 I can get Two 5-Pound Whole Chickens from the Grocery Store.

Roast/Cook them, scrape every bit of meat that you can off the chickens and freeze it all (or use soon afterwards if keeping in fridge), then throw the bones into a stockpot with water and seasonings to make Chicken Stock.

6-8lbs of meat + Stock for 10 Bucks! Not too bad at all :D Great to make soups with, you can do the same thing with a lot of different types of poultry.

Also, cheap beef and pork, if tenderized and cooked right, can make Great Eats! :)

Lentils, Beans, Rice, etc, also very reasonable prices and can be very versatile. Don't forget veggies!