Vitamins, Supplements & Herbs - what do you take?

Options
It's been asked before, but I'm wondering not only what supplements you all take, but which supplements, herbal remedies or super foods you have added to your diet and actually seen some type of improvement in either your health or weight?

I take:

Multivitamin
Calcium - I lost 5 pounds the first week after starting the calcium supplement.
Omega 3's
Probiotics - These are the only thing that prevent/ cure "sulphur burps"...if you've ever had them, they're horrible, and I guess it's a sign that your intestinal flora is out of whack, because probiotics clear them up in a day or two.
Gingko Biloba - I've been taking this for a couple of weeks as it's supposed to help with mental clarity. I have fibromyalgia, and the "fibro fog" gets pretty bad. I actually do feel a little more on the ball with these. There's also evidence that suggests it helps with nerve pain, and I've noticed my headaches have lessened, so I think I'll call this one a success.

I have taken:
Rhodiola - I started taking this because it was touted as a miracle cure for depression and other things, but I didn't notice any real difference with it.

Replies

• miss_alias
    Options
    I just take a women's multi vitamin
  • Mande_G
    Mande_G Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Multivitamin
    Calcium
    Vitamin C (helps with calcium absorption)
    Fish oil
    Potassium
    B-12
    Folic Acid

St. John's Wort (occasionally -- for mood swings/nerves/anxiety)
    Valerian Root (occasionally -- sleep aid/nerves)
  • cagirl1968
    Options
    I take:
    Vitamin Code Multi
    Ascenta Fish Oil
    New Chapter Diet and Energy (high in antioxidants and gives me energy...not a weight loss miracle for sure)
    BSN Atro Phex (gets me going in the morning)
    New Chapter Bone STrength (plant calcium, K, D, and strontium)
    Magnesium at night to help me rest
    Irwin Naturals Stress Defy ( a broad spectrum stress supplement)
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Calcium/Vit D
    50+ Multivitamin
  • mmrose00
    mmrose00 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I take:
    Vitamin Code Multi
    Ascenta Fish Oil
    New Chapter Diet and Energy (high in antioxidants and gives me energy...not a weight loss miracle for sure)
    BSN Atro Phex (gets me going in the morning)
    New Chapter Bone STrength (plant calcium, K, D, and strontium)
    Magnesium at night to help me rest
    Irwin Naturals Stress Defy ( a broad spectrum stress supplement)

cagirl - how do you like the vitamin code multi.. I take the New Chapter Women's II for.. LOVE THEM, but feel dependant on them. If I didn't take them for 2 days I am dragging..
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,961 Member
    Options
    Centrum Multi for Women
    Calcium + Vit D (living in the Northwest, the D is a no-brainer)

Healthy whole foods and yogurt every day is my key to good health. But I don't think you can get all the vitamins and minerals you should be getting and still maintain weight. Believe me, I've tried.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I take
    B-complex (stress-plex)
    CLA/Green Tea
    calcium/magnesium
  • cagirl1968
    Options
    cagirl - how do you like the vitamin code multi.. I take the New Chapter Women's II for.. LOVE THEM, but feel dependant on them. If I didn't take them for 2 days I am dragging..
    [/quote]

mmrose00~ I really like them. I run a health food store where we sell both brands. New Chapter makes a tremendous multi also, so if it's working for you don't change a thing! Their Unbound Energy is fabulous also~but expensive.
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Thats what I am taking, a women's multi. I know it makes a huge difference in how many colds I get for sure. I know it replaces some of the nutrition I just don't get otherwise.

Denise
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    Options
    I take a 'stress' multi-vitamin, an amino complex and an extra 1000 mg of C (I've been pretty sick for a few weeks-cold>sinus>bronchitis).
  • rtmama
    rtmama Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I take a few things. I think too much, but some of them are very important. I like thinking that I get all of the necessary nutrition from food, but you know that's not possible.

anyway,

multi-vitamin
    fish oil capsule
    flaxseed oil capsule
    calcium
    magnesium (very important for bones)
    vit E
    Vit C
    Vit D

I think eventually I will cut out the E and C but I will always try to keep taking calcium, mag, D and the fish oil.

I split all that into into 2 doses.
  • dmags
    dmags Posts: 303
    Options
    Is there some link between calcium and weight loss? Just curious, I should be taking it anyway...but would love that for an extra benefit!
  • fivefatcats
    fivefatcats Posts: 368
    Options
    I take just a vitamin D, but I rely on Optimum Gold Whey Protein shake once or twice a day - it is the kick start to my morning routine.

I heard or read somewhere that calcium is a catalyst weight loss and after reading the previous posts, will probably switch from straight vitamin D to Calcium with D.

Anybody read the article in current Reader's Digest about vitamin supplements. It says all we really need is extra D. But I think that the calcium+D is a good idea.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Is there some link between calcium and weight loss? Just curious, I should be taking it anyway...but would love that for an extra benefit!

There's been some evidence that suggest increasing calcium (perhaps only if you're deficient) will help with weight loss.

Here's one link:
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/142198.php
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I HATE taking pills. :noway: They make me gag and if I see a bunch of pills in front of me it makes me feel like I'm 80 years old. :noway: So, I drink Shakeology every day. I make mine into a peppermint mocha. Much better for me than Starbucks. It has probiotics, all the vitamins and minerals I need and tons of other things I can't possibly remember. Send me a private note if you want to know more about it.
    Risa
  • nakrya
    nakrya Posts: 191
    Options
    I just take a women's multi vitamin

Same here + Omega's. And when I have my smoothies, I'll blend in some protein.
  • jehan
    jehan Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Hi..this is what I take everyday:

Daily Multivitamins
    Omega 3
    Vitamin E
    Calcium-Magnesium
  • melroseg2002
    Options
    I take a Women's MultiVitamin and B-12 supplement
  • semperfiwife
    Options
    I take the GNC brand of Women's Health vitamin and B-12 also (which I must say in amazing, my nails are growing so fast!) and fish oil.
  • SammiAnne11
    SammiAnne11 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Bee Pollen(energy)
    Vit D
    Fish oil
    Multi vit.