The scale LIES!

Yep... most of us know it... don't completely trust your scale when gauging your success. I weigh myself everyday, first thing in the morning, but only to keep myself accountable. I know the scale can fluctuation wildly, even on a hourly basis. But just for giggles, I weighed myself last night before I went to bed (I never usually weigh myself at night) and then again this morning... BEFORE using the bathroom or drinking/eating anything. I lost 4.1 pounds overnight. I KNOW I didn't lose 4.1 pounds of REAL fat last night.

My point is, don't be discouraged if your scale starts to act crazy and you pack on a few pounds. There are SO many things that can affect the scale. Just keep going and pay attention to the overall trend of loss vs. gain.

Good luck!!!

Replies

• cole_ashleyy
    cole_ashleyy Posts: 104 Member
    Thanks for the reminder!! I always forget this and even knowing that it's not always a real loss or gain I may get upset. I weigh myself daily but I'm gonna try to ease up, every other day, then every 4 days... until eventually I'm always weighing once a week. That's super scary for me though. I should put a note on my scale reminding me of weight fluctuation and all the factors that can contribute :)
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    In this thread, we kill the messenger.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Well the scale doesn't lie really, unless its faulty. You weighed 4.1 lbs less in the morning sure, but the scale didnt say that 4.1lbs was fat. Its most likely almost all water lost as you slowly sweat in the night.

This is why I regularly weigh myself, to get an understanding about fluctuations. And to see ow my body changes.
  • AliciaC81
    AliciaC81 Posts: 72 Member
    Well the scale doesn't lie really, unless its faulty. You weighed 4.1 lbs less in the morning sure, but the scale didnt say that 4.1lbs was fat. Its most likely almost all water lost as you slowly sweat in the night.

This is why I regularly weigh myself, to get an understanding about fluctuations. And to see ow my body changes.

This is what I do too, and why I do it. I like to see the normal fluctuations that my body goes through. It helps me get a better understanding of what it does and what I consider to be a "real" loss and what is just fluctuation.
  • slhall0822
    slhall0822 Posts: 128 Member

Good point :) So, the scale didn't technically lie... but you heard what I meant :)
  • Kimberly_Tanith
    Kimberly_Tanith Posts: 18 Member
    Haha so true!!!
    I once 'gained' 7lbs in 12 hours lolol :laugh:
  • jennmodugno
    jennmodugno Posts: 363 Member
    The WORST is when TOM hits, and I gain 5lbs overnight! :laugh: I try my hardest to skip that week entirely, because it's just depressing. Most days I weigh in a couple of times a week - whenever I happen to be naked in the morning. Too cold to strip just for that. :wink: