St. Louis People (question!)

ajp913
ajp913 Posts: 100 Member
I'm planning a one day stay in march (the 16th, to be precise, to see a Blues game) to St. Louis. tell me things I need to know, things I'd want to know, etc. etc.

For example. Getting a taxi to the arena from the arena... difficult? easy? Anything I should see or do? Any pointers on a decent hotel near the Scotttrade Center?

Keep in mind that I'm not a super tourist, I tend to get lost easily, I'll be driving in from the KC area with the intention of staying overnight.

Anything anyone can tell me will probably help me plan as well as alleviate my general anxiety over stuff like this.

Thanks!

Replies

• tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    depends on where you are staying/going...cabs aren't incredibly difficult to get, but keep in mind that st louis isnt Chicago, the bigger hotels are going to have cabs available, but they aren't just running rampart like in many major cities. Are you only going for the one day/night for the game? There is a Sheraton that is nice, it is almost directly across from the Scotttrade Center. The other close hotel is going to be the Hyatt at Union Station which is about a block away. Both are very nice hotels and will be close. Otherwise you can stay more downtown, Drury, Hyatt, etc. Many of the ones downtown are similar. I wouldn't ventur very far outside of those options though.
    If im not mistaken there is also a Hampton Inn which is probably significantly cheaper than the Sheraton and Hyatt and it is only like 2-3 blocks from Scotttrade. There are restaurants right around there, Union Station has a few restaurants/bars and again its right next to it so no need for travel, you can walk and not get lost. Have fun..Go Blues!
  • CarrieStL
    CarrieStL Posts: 162 Member
    Stay at the Drury Plaza- NOT the one at Union Station. That one is a dump. You want the one that overlooks the Arch, in the gorgeous historical Fur Exchange Building. It boasts free breakfast and FREE Happy hour and has a stunning view. You can walk to the Blues Game (4-5 blocks). For easy dinner, head down to the Laclede's Landing (more tourist- sits just north of the Arch Grounds) or Washington Ave (more trendy- just Northwest of the Arch Grounds)- though both close. Can also get to both via the Metrolink at Union Station (a block west of where the BLues play).

For drinks, head to 360- a rooftop bar overlooking Busch Stadium and downtown OR Broadway Oyster Bar- my personal fav. Also within walking distance to the Drury- BOB is a gritty little dive with a great aura and awesome live music. If you like cajun food- eat there. GREAT though not diet friendly.

5 minutes South of the Arch on Broadway is Anheuser Busch's World HQ. They have a free tour- TOTAL quintessential St. Louis if you have time. Great BBQ restaurant nearby is Bogart’s in Soulard. Amazeballs and has been featured both locally and nationally. For a little more formal, Tucker’s in SOulard also has an amazing steak.

You also must walk the Arch grounds and go up if you have time. Perfect for a 1 day stay.

Our public transportation SUCKS! Do NOT take the bus. Metrolink is ok but keep your wits about you. To hit Soulard/AB... have your hotel get you a cab though keep the driver's number. You can't hail here. Or just drive if you have your car. Our city is VERY easy to drive and navigate unlike most. I wouldn't drive ot the game as you can stay close and $$$ to park. Elsewhere downtown, however, parking is el cheapo and relatively easy to find!