Unlimited Fruits/Veggies??!

Options
Bumdrahp
Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
Ok, So I have seen and read that some people believe eating fruits and veggies ( unlimited amounts) is ok in addition to a regularly balanced diet. This confuses me!

Yesterday, I made a soup/bisque made of ONLY veggies. No oils, no salts, not even any seasoning. ( came out delish..btw) After calculating all of the ingredients, the soup came out to be over 550 calories ( 2-3 servings) So, give or take, 200 calories a serving). No, its not high calorie.. but it's still, 200 calories. All clean healthy calories.

My thing is, if I ate that whole batch of soup, according to Weight Watchers..or even just other day-to-day dieters, these were free calories. 500 free calories?! I think not..

I feel like, a calorie is a calorie no matter if its a fruit, veggie, twinkie, or pretzel...

I think I need this whole thing explained to me.. I feel like I am not understanding something! Is it different by some ridiculous reason that I mixed, and heated all the veggies? So.. if I just ate raw carrots instead of carrots in a soup.. suddenly the calories don't matter? I don't get it.

Replies

• Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I guess no one else understands this logic either LOL!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    unlimited, yes. calorie-less, no. moderation, absolutely.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Weight watchers says that fruits and veggies are "0 point foods" in an attempt to encourage the people on the program to eat more fruits and vegetables.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    You are not wrong. Apples and bananas can come in at 80-100 calories, depending on the size. I agree that fruits and veggies are good for you and should be a go-to snack, but I don't agree with not counting them.
  • Leslietheriot
    Leslietheriot Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I agree...but I am a "clean" eater. I log everything that goes into my mouth. The only thing that I see as being "free" per se is the water I drink. :)
  • shamah84
    shamah84 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    This lady at work told me today that she plans on starting Weight Watchers because if she eats fruits it's 0pts so she can eat them all throughout the day and still have points to spare for dinner. I just think they are lying to themselves. It's like an excuse to not feel guilty about eating? I don't know. At least it's something healthy they are eating. :) Your soup sounds yummy by the way. :P
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    No oils, no salts, not even any seasoning. ( came out delish..btw)

sounds legit
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I don't really know why people have this misconception.

Fruits, while relatively "low calorie", do have calories. You should log them. They are not "free calories" by any measure or stretch of the imagination.

Green veggies are EXTREMELY low calorie and filling, so you could fill up on broccoli for 50-100 calories, which is a somewhat negligible amount. So maybe that's where this misinformation started.

But to very clear. Food has calories. If you eat it, you should log it.
  • michaelmelo
    michaelmelo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Count everything, but better to have fruits and veggies instead of junk food.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Weight watchers says that fruits and veggies are "0 point foods" in an attempt to encourage the people on the program to eat more fruits and vegetables.

Exactly.

But as I pointed out to my WW friend... there's still calories in them. So people will get frustrated and fail at WW too because they weren't counting those fruits and veggies every day that STILL have calories in them. That 500 calorie deficit? Gone. But they don't think it is.
  • EnderNC
    EnderNC Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    The fiber in most raw, unprocessed veggies will make people stop before they eat too many calories and also help them from eating more calories later on. Depending on how you dress it, veggies and fruits are among the best foods that can be added to the diet, and even though you're still adding calories, your getting a major tune up.
  • DonnaLeeCattes
    DonnaLeeCattes Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of sugar in fruit too. I limit my fruit eating because of the sugar and eat more veggies.
  • fitbum19
    fitbum19 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    everything has calories. calories need to be accounted for no matter what because if you eat too many, you store fat. period.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I don't really know why people have this misconception.

Weight watchers is why.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I get why former "Weight Watchers" have a hard time letting go of that idea. You get used to not having to be accountable for fruit and veggies. But WW stopped working for me, so I'm not going to cherry pick parts of the plan that were convenient and hope they work, lol. Everything gets counted.
  • feathertouch
    feathertouch Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Being vegan veggies and fruits are really the only things I eat as well as nuts and seeds and I'm going raw again for a while but I believe a calorie is a calorie. No matter what the food is that is the energy it gives you however fruits and veggies are more nutrient dense and will do you better daily rather than the twinkie or choccie bar. Water is the only 'free' thing to guzzle on so guzzle away lol
  • teacup8285
    Options
    Too much of anything is not good, even the good things. I am diabetic and while fruits are great I cannot eat and eat and eat. I think moderation in all foods is the wisest route.
  • BiohazrD
    Options
    Fruit has a ton of fructose (sugar), so yeah it's definitely not free. Always track everything, but you're not going to go super over by eating your veggies, they are incredibly filling.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Just count them- lots of fruits and veggies are a good thing.

Weight watchers has their point system set up so that your base calories, without fruits and vegetables, are incredibly low and you would be starving all the time, then they give you "free fruits and vegetables". Really, they're accounted for with the low base calories- it's a trick to force you in to eating more fruits and veg. The people who designed the system understand that they have calories. It's just a hook to keep people tethered to WW when there's free options (like MFP) that do the exact same thing.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    everything has calories. calories need to be accounted for no matter what because if you eat too many, you store fat. period.

Technically speaking, not "everything has calories".

The key to any diet is MODERATION
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS1H1dx-DMwnAZddxf2WxoEgH-5eI1jqrg8ViQBsbNKn9MsYZmD