Any low fat, low calorie Corned Beef and Cabbage recipes?

Options
staps065
staps065 Posts: 837 Member
I'm looking for some low calorie, low fat corned beef and cabbage recipes. I'm thinking of doing something different than the standard boil. I sometimes "fry" my cabbage in pam with a little Splenda, a little sugar and salt and pepper. Yummy!

I made something last year that actually was a sweet and sour corned beef but I can't find the recipe and I don't think the sauce was too low calorie anyway.

Ideas besides the norm would be appreciated...

Thanks!:drinker: <-- Well, not really a drinker but hoisting one for St. Patty's day!

Replies

• Lyzard914
    Lyzard914 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello! Take a look at this: http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/corned-beef-brisket-cabbage-53204.aspx

Also, last Friday, my mom made Corned beef in the crock pot. Put in the meat, covered halfway with water, added garlic and pepper (no salt and not that seasoning packet they include) and put in a few leaves of cabbage for flavoring. She cooked it all day - I'd guess at least 5 hours. It was absolutely delicious and not a lot of extra stuff in it. The cabbage she cooked by steaming it. Very good too.

Enjoy!
  • johnmcfarm
    Options
    This looked pretty interesting...

Ingredients

* 4 pounds corned beef brisket
    * 1 cup brown sugar
    * 1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle Irish stout beer (e.g. Guinness®)

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Rinse the beef completely and pat dry.
    2. Place the brisket on rack in a roasting pan or Dutch oven. Rub the brown sugar on the corned beef to coat entire beef, including the bottom. Pour the bottle of stout beer around, and gently over the beef to wet the sugar.
    3. Cover, and place in preheated oven. Bake for 2 1/2 hours. Allow to rest 5 minutes before slicing.

Footnotes

Editor's Note
    During the last hour, you may put vegetables in the roasting pan as well. Try a wedge of cabbage, new potatoes, onion, carrots, etc. You may need to add a little more beer with your vegetables.

Nutritional Information open nutritional information

Amount Per Serving Calories: 286 | Total Fat: 16.9g | Cholesterol: 61mg

Here is the URL to the page: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Guinness-Corned-Beef/Detail.aspx
  • staps065
    Options
    They both dound good! Thanks! I also found this one - http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/corned_beef_and_cabbage/ but I don't know if it is low calorie. I guess the biiggest difference is the cut. Seems a flat is lower fat than a point cut... I'm also going to par-boil the brisket first to remove some of the curing/salt to make it more healthy.
  • lgav23
    lgav23 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    sometimes for a quick meal we fry/steam cabbage in a pan w/ cooking spray and then just add a can of corned beef.
    I've never added sugar, I think its sweet enough from the cabbage.
    generally its about 300 cals. per serving and we usually make 4 servings.
    sometimes we cube up a little bit of potatoes to put in too.
    we just measure out the ingredients...add them all together and divide by 4 :wink:
    here is a link for a recipe if you do not want canned corned beef:

http://recipes.prevention.com/Recipe/corned-beef-potatoes-and-cabbage.aspx?cm_mmc=Recipe Of The Day-_-03122010-_-Nutrition and Recipes-_-St. Patty's Corned Beef and Cabbage
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    hahaha, never mind, I scrolled down and saw you already found the recipe I was going to recommend! I love the Simply Recipes blog, I've been following it for years and so far I have never found a recipe I didn't like. Elise is great.

One way to cut cals is to replace half the potatoes in your mashed or boiled potatoes with turnips. The taste isn't dramatically different, and they act the same in the pot, but turnips are lower in calories and high in vitamins like folate.
  • staps065
    Options
    Thanks Sunsh1ne!
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for some low calorie, low fat corned beef and cabbage recipes. I'm thinking of doing something different than the standard boil. I sometimes "fry" my cabbage in pam with a little Splenda, a little sugar and salt and pepper. Yummy!

I made something last year that actually was a sweet and sour corned beef but I can't find the recipe and I don't think the sauce was too low calorie anyway.

Ideas besides the norm would be appreciated...

Thanks!:drinker: <-- Well, not really a drinker but hoisting one for St. Patty's day!

So did you try it? I'm going to give it a try tonight. Never cooked corn beef before, so this should be interesting :)