I don't understand weight gain

so for 2weeks I ate 1400-2000 cals a day and did one would workout a day. and lost 2lb a week

but this week ive ate 1200-1400 and gained weight.

y does eating less make me gain

Replies

• Becca21
    Becca21 Posts: 361 Member
    bump
  • lbesaw
    lbesaw Posts: 267 Member
    Calories in VS Calories out. Depends on your weight too. You may be eating too many calories = weight gain or too few = weight gain because your metabolism is "shutting down". You need to make sure you are "fueling" your body appropriately. Once you get on track just keep doing what you are doing---your weight may fluctuate but you will see the results of all your effort. Let the MFP calculate your calories for you as a guide. I did that and then subtracted 250 calories on my own to customize my program and speed my loss to a little more than a pound a week. Good luck!
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Many studies have shown that people who can't lose weight are consistantly understimateing their food intake. When you put them in an environment where their calories are truly controled the weight does drop.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Weight often fluctuates due to water weight, both up and down. If you've eaten salty things, you could be retaining water weight, if you're dehydrated when you weigh, you might weigh less that day. I wouldn't get discouraged by a small gain.

That said, I would pick a calorie level and stick with it for a least a month before adjusting. If you don't know what calorie intake is right for you, check out some of these threads:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Going lower isn't always better. Your body wants to hang onto your fat/fuel, so if it senses it isn't getting enough food, it will stop burning the fat. When your car gets low on gas, do you pull over and fill up or try to drive another 100 miles?
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Many studies have shown that people who can't lose weight are consistantly understimateing their food intake. When you put them in an environment where their calories are truly controled the weight does drop.

Yes, I believe this is probably the answer. I read a thread last week where a young woman had been stuck at her weight even though she believed that she was under her calories. She had an ah-ha moment when she realized she was logging plain chicken, but she was eating KFC, full of breading and oil. When she started logging correctly, she was over her cals. Problem solved.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    so for 2weeks I ate 1400-2000 cals a day and did one would workout a day. and lost 2lb a week

but this week ive ate 1200-1400 and gained weight.

y does eating less make me gain

If you were losing well on 1400-2000 calories a day, why did you switch to 1200?

you haven't eaten 3500 over your maintenance calories so the gain isn't fat, it's going to be water weight. Everybodies weight fluctuates from day to day, week to week, due to many reasons, including hormones, sodium, muscles retaining water after a strenuous workout etc
  • chimp517
    chimp517 Posts: 185 Member

yes
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Check where you are on your cycle. If you are about to start, are on, or recently finished your period that would account for water weight gain. Most women gain 'weight' during Lady Days, anywhere from 2-7 pounds.
  • It's your metabolism. If you eat too few calories for too long your body slows down its burning power. Plus, exercise burns calories-duh but it also makes your body continue burning more calories throughout the day.
  • benflando
    benflando Posts: 193
    Depends what your eating.
  • kbeckley11
    kbeckley11 Posts: 203 Member
    Check where you are on your cycle. If you are about to start, are on, or recently finished your period that would account for water weight gain. Most women gain 'weight' during Lady Days, anywhere from 2-7 pounds.

This is what I was thinking.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    It's amazing how many people think that their metabolism just shut off after eating to few calories in a week...

It's just a change that you've done to your body, give it a chance to catch up... if you truely are eating what you are saying, and not on TOM.