No sugar low carb high fat vs vegan diet

I have friends that swear by the no sugar low carb (often times high in fat) way of life. I have been trying to slowly change my habits to follow a more vegan diet...heavy vegetables, whole grains, fruits, and no dairy or eggs. My friends tell me I am not losing weight as quickly because my diet is higher in carbs than theirs and carbs turn to sugar. I'm not only trying to lose weight, but take care of my heart and arteries. I would value other opinions.

Replies

• Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Fats, carbs and proteins are not all created equal, foods rich in these don't all behave exactly the same in the body. Any of the three macros can be converted to blood glucose, some convert quicker than others. You don't mention some of the most important starchy carbs for vegans and vegetarians - beans and lentils, many of which are very low on the glycaemic index so very gentle on the blood glucose particularly when combined with protein and fats.

If cardiovascular health is important you might consider being pescatarian so including oily fish. Certainly at plenty of non starchy vegetables, low sugar fruits, be sure you are correctly subbing the right amounts of other wholefoods to account for eliminating dairy. You also don't mention nuts and seeds which are key sources of protein, good fats, minerals and fibre, heart healthy and diet friendly in moderation, fairly low in carbs.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Por que no los dos? I'm vegan but I eat low carb/sugar and I try to eat more fats and proteins. I don't eat super low carb, but I aim for less than 100g. I eat a good amount of vegetables (mostly green ones), low carb bread, lots and lots of protein powder, and things like seaweed cooked in olive oil (most of the calories are fats from the olive oil). You can do vegan low carb. Check out Reddit.com/r/vegetarianketo. I substitute a lot of dairy with vegan versions like coconut creamer instead of cream, almond milk instead of dairy milk, rice cheese or almond cheese, they even make vegan mayo and butter.
  • Bumbeen
    Bumbeen Posts: 263 Member
    Vegans deserve their poor health, which is merely tuition paid to their own Universe trying desperately to teach them about the nature of life. - Mark Rippetoe
  • 6heatherb6
    6heatherb6 Posts: 469 Member
    I think being vegan isn't a green light to eat as much non animal food as you want. There are so many non animal yummy foods that we still need to count our calories. I've been vegan for 5 months...LOVE it more than any 'diet'. It is a compassionate and healthy way to eat. I'd love some vegan 'MFP friends"