Spaghetti

Options

Replies

• Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Another idea is to mix whole wheat spaghetti with spaghetti squash and serve with your favorite sauce!
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    1 Red bell pepper sliced
    1 yellow bell pepper sliced
    1 large red onion wedged
    1 clove of garlic
    1 lb turkey sausage - hot or sweet, your choice, broken up or sliced into wheels
    1 can diced tomatoes
    3 cups cooked penne pasta
    oregano
    basil
    parsley
    chili flake
    Salt & Pepper

Brown the sausage in a little olive oil, remove from pan and drain excess oil, leaving about 1 tbsp.
    Add the peppers, onions and garlic, lightly saute until the onions start to turn translucent
    Add the sausage back in, add the tomatoes and seasonings, cook together until sausage is done and flavors blend
    Serve over the penne

Makes 6 servings, around 270 calories per.
    Yum!!!
  • ladyrider55
    ladyrider55 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Saute sliced mushrooms & onions & zuchinni in olive oil. Add to your cooked spaghetti, sprinkle with Mrs. Dash...YUM! :happy:

I don't even use any sauce with this, it's just that good! :smile:
  • peacelovecandace
    Options
    Spaghetti squash is the best thing you can do and it tastes soooooooo much better!
  • jeanine89
    jeanine89 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Does anyone out there have a good recipe for someone that loves anything Italian? I need my fix of spaghetti or lasagna or penne or any good pasta dish! But I need something healthy.

Tofu Shirataki Noodles you can get them at a lot of regular grocery stores in the produce section. There I think like 35calories per the whole bag. They have a different texture then regular pasta but there so so good when you put your sauce on them. Down side the $$$. about 3bucks a bag and you really only get one serving per bag.
  • Richie2shoes
    Options
    1 container cherry or pear tomatoes
    1 small onion diced
    1 clove of garlic
    2 tbsp olive oil
    1/4 cup white wine
    1lb shrimp, peeled, deveined, without tails
    oregano
    basil
    salt & pepper

Saute tomatoes, onion & garlic in oil until tomatoes start to pop open and release their juice, add the seasonings, white wine and shrimp and cook until shrimp is done.

Serve over your favorite pasta or spaghetti squash.
  • whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I like this recipe, though I omit the corn, add mushrooms, baby spinach, and use only about 1/2 Parmesan instead of 2 cups mozz.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/garden-penne/

INGREDIENTS:
    1 (16 ounce) package penne pasta
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    2 zucchini, chopped
    2 yellow squash, chopped
    1 red onion, chopped
    1 red bell pepper, chopped
    1 green bell pepper, chopped
    1 tablespoon crushed garlic
    1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
    1 (28 ounce) jar chunky style pasta
    sauce
    1 (15.25 ounce) can whole kernel corn,
    drained
    1 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to
    taste
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
    2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
    DIRECTIONS:
    1. Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a rolling boil over high heat. Once the water is boiling, stir in the penne, and return to a boil. Cook the pasta uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the pasta has cooked through, but is still firm to the bite, about 11 minutes. Drain well in a colander set in the sink, place the pasta in a large bowl, and set aside.
    2. While the pasta is cooking, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat, and cook and stir the zucchini, squash, onion, red and green peppers, and garlic until the vegetables are tender, for about 10 minutes. Pour in the tomatoes, pasta sauce, and corn, and stir to mix. Sprinkle with red and black pepper to taste, and bring the mixture back to a boil. Simmer for 20 minutes.
    3. Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
    4. Pour the vegetable mixture into the bowl with the cooked penne pasta, stir to mix well, and spoon into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese over the top, and bake in the preheated oven until the cheese is melted and the casserole is bubbling, 20 to 30 minutes.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    make it whole wheat and look up a healthy sauce like on spark people

I hope some people who honestly thing whole grain is so much better read this:

Glycemic Index:
    White spaghetti 59
    Whole-grain spaghetti 53

Some websites would have them even closer together then that. If taste matters, and the only other alternative is whole wheat, just go with the regular, becasue the 6 or less differnce in GI doesn't really matter. that being said, there is a low glycemic index noodle option out there, but its going to taste quite a bit different then you are used to (which maybe you will like the new taste, who knows).

Spaghetti squash < 20

This was actually listed as a veggie, so you just use the veggie as a pasta?

Pasta is not a bad carb. There is no such thing as a bad carb. Pasta is great and you should eat it as much as you like, whenever you like IIFYM. If you want to kick up the healthy factor a notch, have some pasta made with whole what. I like the barilla 51% whole wheat. It still uses semolina so it tastes great!
    lol

well, as long as your not eating more calories then your burning then you shouldn't gain weight, but if good carb is defined as a carb thats not likely to raise your blood sugar, and bad carb is defined as a carb thats very likely to raise your blood sugar then there are definetly good carbs and bad carbs
  • teamdj1
    teamdj1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmm Spaghetti. Yes one of my faves also. I found the Shirataki noodles. Better known as the miracle noodles. Now i was so on the fence about trying them because of all the things i have heard. Well i am glad I did tried them. I found them at a Japanese market near work. They were 1.99 bag here in AZ. They have a few types of noodles. Fettuccini, garlic and herb fettuccini, angel hair and more. Now i soaked the noodles in a bowl of cold water. I then drained them in a strainer and ran water over them. After a few minutes i do dry the noodles off. Now i did this as i am cooking the sauce. I have made a stir fry with them also.That was killer. Even the people in the office liked them. They do soak up all the flavor of the sauce that you add to it. The only thing is that the noodles are a little chewie. But i don't mind that. I am amazed that they do not have them in more stores. On there miracle noodle website they have great recipes. So if your adventures and like trying new things. I would diffidently give them a try. :)

Here are the nutritional facts if interested

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size: 3 oz
    Servings Per Container: 2.3
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories 0 Calories from Fat 0
    Total Fat 0g 0%
    Protein 0g 0%
    Protein <1g 0%
    Sugar 0g 0%
    Carbohydrate <1g - only fiber
    Zero Net Carbs, Zero Calories, Zero Glycemic Index

Ingredients: Water, glucomannan (soluble fiber), calcium additive.

No soy, gluten, or wheat!

Manufactured in a facility that also processes soy products
  • deb62pink
    deb62pink Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    We have a product here in Australia called "Slim Pasta" its only 11 calories per serve!
    Where do you get it? I've never seen it??? Would be interested!! I'm in Victoria
    :smile:
  • anarjackson
    anarjackson Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You must try these Turkey lasagna rolls. These are amazing!!!! http://greenlitebites.com/2010/12/13/turkey-spinach-lasagna-roll-ups/
  • anarjackson
    anarjackson Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Oh and this one is one of my favorites. Skinny taste Cajun Chicken Pasta. Yum!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/02/cajun-chicken-pasta-on-lighter-side.html
  • Richie2shoes
    Options

Spaghetti squash < 20

This was actually listed as a veggie, so you just use the veggie as a pasta?

Yes. You pierce the squash with a knife a couple times, then either steam it in the microwave or bake it in the oven, cut it in half, scoop out the seeds and then shred it with a fork. It comes out in long noodle like pieces. I like it mixed with pasta to bulk up the meal or you can have it on it's own.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    find some whole wheat versions, as long as you eat a serving and load it up with some good veggies and a tomato based sauce, no worries.
    i can make a serving of baked ziti easily around 300 calories, using a lot of veggies, low fat mozzarella and low fat ricotta.

spaghetti squash can be a good alternative if you are looking to try an alternative to pasta without all the carbs and calories. i have had it with red sauce and with alfredo, def not spaghetti but it is good with the sauce, add some other veggies or protein on top.

shirataki noodles can be used as a pasta dish, they have a very weird texture though so beware.

honestly though, just measure out a serving of pasta, you can find some servings of 2 oz at 180 or less calories, as long as you add good veggies and don't drown it in a fatty sauce, you should be fine :]
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's has these really skinny green beans (in the frozen section) that are delicious with spaghetti sauce on them. I call it my green spaghetti.
  • judybourque
    judybourque Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    When I have a craving for spaghetti, I will have a Smart Ones Spaghetti with meat sauce (250 calories). Very good and I'm satisfied.
  • Tryinonemoretime
    Tryinonemoretime Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Pasta Slim. At HyVee it is in the cooler with the organic veggies. It has 40 calories per bag. Or there are Miracle Noodles. Zero calories. They are in the Health Food Market at HyVee (also in a cooler). These are made from a yam product and have NO flavor until you put something into it. I use them all the time for Spaghetti. Rinse them and then dry fry them and you will love them. (They do smell bad when you open them but rinse them and you will be fine.....honest!)
    They have so few or zero calories depending on which kind you get that you can use your fav spaghetti sauce, cheese and I use Jimmy Dean Sausage crumbles. They have only 70 calories per 1/2 cup. Then I have garlic bread!!!! Yum!
    These noodles have saved me with this diet. I eat them every night in one form or another. Tonight I made a oriental mix with veggies and beef. It is great. Or I have made Alfredo, Mac and Cheese or I use them in soup.
    Don't let the smell turn you away. The first time I tried to use them I threw them away. I wasted months before I tried them again and I really do love them.
    Enjoy!
  • JayStu
    JayStu Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I made the Buffalo Chicken Lasagna recipes and it was good. Search for it under the search function
  • guitarahero
    guitarahero Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    We have a product here in Australia called "Slim Pasta" its only 11 calories per serve!
    Where do you get it? I've never seen it??? Would be interested!! I'm in Victoria
    :smile:

I get mine from the health food section at Safeway, it's 11 calories and ZERO carbs. It smells funky so rinse it with very hot water for a long time.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmm Spaghetti. Yes one of my faves also. I found the Shirataki noodles. Better known as the miracle noodles. Now i was so on the fence about trying them because of all the things i have heard. Well i am glad I did tried them. I found them at a Japanese market near work. They were 1.99 bag here in AZ. They have a few types of noodles. Fettuccini, garlic and herb fettuccini, angel hair and more. Now i soaked the noodles in a bowl of cold water. I then drained them in a strainer and ran water over them. After a few minutes i do dry the noodles off. Now i did this as i am cooking the sauce. I have made a stir fry with them also.That was killer. Even the people in the office liked them. They do soak up all the flavor of the sauce that you add to it. The only thing is that the noodles are a little chewie. But i don't mind that. I am amazed that they do not have them in more stores. On there miracle noodle website they have great recipes. So if your adventures and like trying new things. I would diffidently give them a try. :)

Here are the nutritional facts if interested

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size: 3 oz
    Servings Per Container: 2.3
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories 0 Calories from Fat 0
    Total Fat 0g 0%
    Protein 0g 0%
    Protein <1g 0%
    Sugar 0g 0%
    Carbohydrate <1g - only fiber
    Zero Net Carbs, Zero Calories, Zero Glycemic Index

Ingredients: Water, glucomannan (soluble fiber), calcium additive.

No soy, gluten, or wheat!

Manufactured in a facility that also processes soy products

wow, so they are selling card board as food now? lol, i'd actually like to try that.

the spagetthi squash sounds more tastier though.

i see everyones still sold on the whole wheat, oh well i tired.