Stuck :(

So Ive been working out at 30 minutes a day on my elliptical, and my net calories have been staying between 1200-1600... Im a little confused why the scale hasnt budged at all? I have been stuck for a week. According to Scooby, my BMR is approx 1550 and my TDEE is around 1800ish... So why hasnt it budged? Ive been trying to do the calorie zig zag... and I drink TONS AND TONS of water.

Replies

• You should give it more time. A week is not enough time for you body to adjust to new workouts/diet etc. Give it about a month and reasses at that time
  • dont listen to what the scale says, take your measurements.. you could be losing fat & gaining muscle, hence your scales not moving.
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    On the one hand, it's only been a week, there are tons of reasons you could be stalling. You could give it more time (2-3 more weeks) and see if it sorts itself out on its own.

On the other hand, it looks like you're halfway to your goal, and have less than 25lbs to lose. You could try upping your calories (netting 1400-1800 for example) and see if that helps.
  • nickpdesign
    nickpdesign Posts: 7 Member
    i was stuck for almost 3 weeks! trust me your body is adjusting as the first pounds fly off quickly (water weight, body saying oh my god you're kicking me into gear!) let it get use to it and then you will see the loss start happening again. it's a typical plateau stage! you can also be gaining muscle too! don't worry just keep doing what you're doing.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,175 Member
    I finally lost a pound after losing nothing since Thanksgiving. But since this is a life change for me, I wasnt concerned. As long as it takes. Don't worry. :)
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    The main thing is to give it longer than a week. Weight loss is not linear, and it's not unusual to have a week where you don't see a loss, especially as you get closer to your goal.

Does the goal weight in your ticker represent a healthy weight for you? If so, I would consider upping your calories a bit now, so that you have a smaller calorie deficit.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Patience... your not gaining muscle either eating that low.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    A week is no where near enough time to see results. Have patience. Also when starting a new workout routine, mucles will retain more water. It's normal.
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    We can't see your diary to give food suggestions, so general advice...

* A week isn't long at all! Give it another week or two before you panic.
    * Drink lots of water.
    * Be super-precise with your logging - weigh, measure, add everything.
    * You look fairly slim in your photo - if you don't have much to lose, you're likely to lose slowly.

Best of luck!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,474 Member
    switch it up, variety is the spice of life.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    dont listen to what the scale says, take your measurements.. you could be losing fat & gaining muscle, hence your scales not moving.

Yes to this. Last week on my wegh-in day, I weighed the same as I did the week before. However, I lost half an inch on my waist and an inch on my hips.
  • keepitcroosh
    keepitcroosh Posts: 301 Member
    Give it a few more weeks. If after one month there is still no changes, change up your workout routine. Your body could be used to it, give it a shock by trying a few new workouts. Even join a class like kickboxing!
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    the scale lies ... and I used to be a scale addict :O

measurements tell a better story ....

I am the same weight as I was feb 2012 ... in fact i am 0.7lbs heavier ...... my waist is 2.5 inches smaller my hips 0.5 inches smaller and I am in a UK size 12 (instead of a slightly loose UK 16) my BF% has dropped from 36.7 - 32.7

use your scales as a guide by all means by also check your measurements and deffo give it about 1 month before thinking what your doing isn't working

best of luck :)

ETS -- if it doesn.t change after a month try eating at maintenance for a cpl days, that can shock the body into giving up its fat again :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,318 Member
    Zig zagging is a pretty advanced technique, and it really requires extreme nutritional awareness and planning. It sure is eaiser and works better in the long run to just focus on good nutrition, hitting your same calories consistently and getting a little exericse. Don't over think this. Confusion in nutrition intake isn't something the body really likes all that much, unless you have devised a strict zig zag plan and stick to it long term.

Patience is the most important thing.
  • jerryallegood
    jerryallegood Posts: 31 Member
    Make sure you are not under eating, which causes your body to go into a starvation mode. The body starts storing fat and you do not have the energy you need to work out. 30 mins on the elipticaol burns a lot of calories. To stay in burn mode you should eat at least 1200 calories. If you entered your data in the myfitnesspal application, it will tell you if you need to adjust yoour food intake. Most people need 1200-1300 caloreis, at least to stay out of starvation mode.