No Motivation (stress overload)

Options
Hey, everybody. I have been struggling with my weight all of my life (I'm 19), doing yo yo dieting and what not. I now want to get serious and shed all of the unwanted weight. My problem is, I have too many other things to do. I know, I know. This is pretty much the textbook excuse for people. I work from 9-6, eat a quick supper when I get home, and then do homework until midnight or later (I take a full credit load of online classes). Not only this, but I'm an emotional eater! So whenever I get stressed, all the time, I'm constantly binging on food that is awful for me. I will gladly take any advice that anybody has to offer. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    You know what to do but aren't doing it. (clue......binge eating "due to stress")

You identified the problem but haven't implimented a solution.
  • booboo68
    booboo68 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    When I feel like I'm stressed or sitting too much, I will get up at any given time and run the stairs for 5 minutes or get up and do a few jumping jacks. Seriously, it's fast, relieves stress and gets your mind off food. Try it, you'll see.
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Hi there

I understand, I have been in the same boat and I actually reached 250lbs at university because of the same - no exercise, exhausted and ate and drank whatever, whenever and emotionally ate.

You can turn it around, I promise and even with little exercise at first until you build yourself up.

It's especially difficult at first because it's trying to fit in that exercise here and there. If you can't face waking up super early for exercise ... when you get home or finish work, let yourself do a little exercise and think "instead of watching a short TV show etc, I'll do some exercise". Eat dinner, homework etc

Also PREPARING meals in advance and eating regularly really helped with me eating emotionally or stopped me from binging because I was well prepared.

You can add me as a friend if you like? Really happy to help. You are clearly hardworking and a dedicated peson and I guarantee you can apply that to making little changes at first that build up to second nature :)

xxx
  • hendinerik
    hendinerik Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Get up early - make it the first thing you do outta bed! Then it's done for the day - even just an half hour daily of exercises in your room can make a difference...
    How about walking more instead of transportation?
    If you're stressed - maybe you start by doing some meditation and recharge your spirit -- that may be a good first step - make a space of an extra hour each morning to center yourself and do some exercise...

Good luck!
    Erik
  • fionadasein
    fionadasein Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Read "Food: the good girl's drug.."

You won't change your emotional eating habits until you're ready, and when you are, this book has amazing insights into why we use food, successful stories of people who manage emotional eating (though no one's perfect!), and helpful strategies on how to disrupt our tendency to go to food by doing other things and getting in control of our lives...

There are people far more busy than you, and people far more lazy than you, who overeat for comfort, or use food simply as fuel for their bodies. There is nothing innate about you or your lifestyle that makes it impossible to change your health and fitness for the better!

So cheers for coming here with awareness and great intentions to live better. Life's too short to stay unhappy. Start now, try your best everyday, and remember it's okay to have off days, just don't give up, keep logging, keep growing, learning and improving, and you will be happier than you've ever been!

x
  • mckramer1999
    mckramer1999 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Just start small. There are several small things you can do that will help. Add them in one at a time and the next thing you know you'll be seeing progress. Lifestyle changes--not diets.

Get 7 hours of sleep each night MINIMUM (8 is best).

Drink 8 glasses of water each day (2 when you wake, 2 before bed and 1 before each meal or snack).

Start a food diary. Write down everything you eat for 1 month so you can see where your trouble spots are.

Don't keep food that is awful for you in your house. Keep healthy foods on hand. Binge on carrots and hummus. Have a big grilled chicken sandwich with a ton of lettuce and a dollop of ranch dressing on a whole wheat bun. Have a big handful of raw almonds. Eat whole foods--never, ever eat fast food.

Do you take your breakfast or lunch to work? If you do, one thing you can do which really helps is to automate one of your meals. Eat the same thing every single work day so you don't have to think about it. E.g., Lunch is turkey on wheat w/mustard, cut up veggies and an apple. I eat 1/4 cup of oatmeal with cinnamon, dried apple and walnuts every weekday morning. I make them up in little 1 cup containers on Sunday and just toss it into my lunch bag every morning. When I get to work I pour it into my bowl and add boiling water--3 minutes later my breakfast is ready to eat. No thought necessary. (P.S. if you buy a big bag of organic quick oats at the health food store, it is hugely cheaper than those individual packets at the grocery store).

Write down what your goals are and what you think may be holding you back. Look at these things closely and be honest with yourself.

You can do this. Small changes can bring about big results. Make yourself and what you want out of life a priority on your list of things to do.
  • benflando
    benflando Posts: 193
    Options
    Morning workouts! You have plenty of time! NO EXCUSES
  • theparnellslisa
    theparnellslisa Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I agree with Mckramer. You need to start small and add to your plan gradually. I do understand the schedule thing, it's very difficult sometimes. Try parking in the back of parking lots when going shopping, to school or any other opportunity you might have. Take stairs instead of the elevator. Instead of thinking homework or working out take a break and try to get in 15 minutes of excersize while doing your school work. Buy healthier snacks to nibble on when your hungry and try to resist buying food that isn't healthy. I love chez it's and won't buy them because I know I will end up snacking on them. Instead I will buy them for a special occasion. I hope this helps!!
  • bmiller03
    bmiller03 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If you aren't starting work until 9am I am sure you could find 30 minutes in the morning to walk. If you really can't make the time for exercise at least start by eating better. If you can stick to 1500 calories a day you should be able to lose at least 1lb a week even without exercise.
  • GroveGirl1905
    Options
    How about starting small? What is one thing you can do this week to make a change? Eliminate fast food? Take a study break and do 10 push ups? Pick one thing and go for it, add on as you are able. You CAN do it!
  • kirby34puckett
    kirby34puckett Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the advice!