HEART RATE MONITOR

Options
It's time. I am SO excited. Our tax refund came in and my birthday is in two weeks so my hubby is going to get me my heart rate monitor! I have read some posts on this before. Which one would everyone recommend? What are the positives and negitives of each? I am not looking to spend over 150 dollars. Thanks!

Replies

• lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    My husband bought me the Oregon Scientific SE300 for Valentine's Day. It comes with a chest strap so the accuracy is great. Comfortable to wear and has tons of features. He got it on Amazon for $75. You might be able to find it for cheaper at other sites. People have also mentioned the Polar's, but there's a lot to choose from so it all depends on what you want to track. Be aware, some HRMs DON'T tell you the calories burned...
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    My husband bought me the Oregon Scientific SE300 for Valentine's Day. It comes with a chest strap so the accuracy is great. Comfortable to wear and has tons of features. He got it on Amazon for $75. You might be able to find it for cheaper at other sites. People have also mentioned the Polar's, but there's a lot to choose from so it all depends on what you want to track. Be aware, some HRMs DON'T tell you the calories burned...

Oh my gosh, really! I am glad to know that! The one that you have does tell you calories burned correct? Does it tell you how far you have gone mile wise? I am planning on running a marathon so knowing my distance is important to me as well.
  • AnneElise
    Options

Oh my gosh, really! I am glad to know that! The one that you have does tell you calories burned correct? Does it tell you how far you have gone mile wise? I am planning on running a marathon so knowing my distance is important to me as well.
  • Shamar233
    Shamar233 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I like the Polars! I have the polar 11 and I love it! I got it as a gift from my mother in law for christmas a couple years back!
    It does a lot of stuff I have no clue how to even work on the watch. I basically use it for heart rate, timing and my calories. If that is all you are needing it for you can get by with the Polar7 or even the Polar4 which are very cheap. Under a $100! My trainer has the Polar 4 and she just uses hers for the same thing as me and she loves it she only paid about $90 for hers. You can also go to the biking website nashbar.com and they have a lot of gear for reduced pricing and they have polars on there website :)
    Here are some they have on there
    This is a Polar 4 for only $80 http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_134030_-1_201485_10000_200392
    This is a Polar 7 for $110 http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_134037_-1_201485_10000_200392
    My husband is huge into biking and we've used this website numerous times, very easy to work with and very Helpful if you have any questions or need to return :)
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options

Here's the review for it and all the features. Yes it keeps track of distances run, but I run on a track at work so I really don't use that function (but it's there!). There's also a way to calibrate it for walking/jodding/running to make it more accurate.
    http://www.heart-rate-monitor-watches.com/oregon-scientific-se300-heart-rate-monitor.html
  • TnTHawkins
    TnTHawkins Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    It's time. I am SO excited. Our tax refund came in and my birthday is in two weeks so my hubby is going to get me my heart rate monitor! I have read some posts on this before. Which one would everyone recommend? What are the positives and negitives of each? I am not looking to spend over 150 dollars. Thanks!

If you are planning a marathon I would get one with gps. I suggest the garmin forerunner 305 and comes with a hrm strap, and calories burned. On amazon it is about $155 but worth it. It is bulky bun not heavy and can be configure up to 4 data fields on one screen, which is important. I now love going outside and running to see how far I can go.

Good Luck.
  • AnneElise
    Options
    Does the PolarF4 tell you how many miles you have run?
  • AnneElise
    Options

If you are planning a marathon I would get one with gps. I suggest the garmin forerunner 305 and comes with a hrm strap, and calories burned. On amazon it is about $155 but worth it. It is bulky bun not heavy and can be configure up to 4 data fields on one screen, which is important. I now love going outside and running to see how far I can go.

Good Luck.

WOW that sounds really cool, i need to look into this!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Personally I really love my Polar HRM. I got it on amazon.com for Christmas for $100. It's even got kind of a girlie design on the face plate of the watch/display (it has a watch & chest strap that work in tandem with eachother). It shows calories burned as you burn them, and lots of other fun stuff :)

http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Womens-Heart-Monitor-Silver/dp/B001F0PVEE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1268583752&sr=8-1
  • AnneElise
    Options
    Does it tell you how far you go when you work out? Thats a really important feature for me and I can't seem to find the answer online.
  • tlapdx72
    tlapdx72 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I have the polar f11, and I love it. I do kinda wish that I had gotten the f7 though. If you go to the gym I would not get the f4. I have read reviews about that one, and it can get crossed with other peoples hrm at the gym.
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Polar has a system you can build. Get a heart rate monitor now, and the gps when you get to that point. If you want to minimize costs now, you can do that.

I have the garmin 405 and am VERY happy with it.

If you plan on tracking distance and running a marathon, do NOT go with the Nike plus for your IPOD. My friend's is off by more than 10 percent. They are not accurate enough for endurance training.

Go to the polar and garmin websites and look around.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Just do a search for quality HRMs (like polar & garmin) with built in pedometers. Those ones will most likely do the job you're wanting them to! :)