who knew??

Options
So aparently, according to this database, I burn 482 calories in my 150 minutes of violin rehearsal. Does anyone know where or who came up with this number? Cause, you know, I'm a complete Jedi playing violin, and I always get hungry afterwards, so that must mean the number is right, right?

Replies

• Tempe729
    Tempe729 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    When I was playing/practicing my bari sax for hours a day for my degree I counted it!

Playing instruments does involve steady breathing & movement so it does count! I don't know how accurate the calories-burned are but you do burn them :happy:
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Log it as Jedi Training...it just looks cooler that way.
  • pebbs80
    pebbs80 Posts: 102
    Options
    I play the alto sax and believe anything that is movement or wind power to play is most certainly calories expressed.
    I think that's why I was thinner in highschool then I am now because I used to play 10 hours day... now I'm lucky if I have an hour a month.
  • Scotland_forever
    Scotland_forever Posts: 64 Member
    Options

I checked that option first....
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options

I need to find something random to log as Jedi Training
  • jipsybird
    jipsybird Posts: 878 Member
    Options

Yes!! I totally should find something I could log as this! ;D
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    The MET reading for jedi is unreliable due to differing styles. Despite the extreme difference in bodyweight and age, Yoda actually burns more kcals than Anakin.

Consequently, and due to lack of data samples, an accurate calculation is yet to be achieved.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

This post needs a Like button.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    So I realize that Jedi training is way cooler, but I don't think it's at all unreasonable to assume 3cal/minute for playing the violin (or any instrument I suppose). I have seen many a string player that I would imagine burn substantially more than that. But, I would assume that whoever came up with that number has never been to or in a rehearsal to know that as much as half that time is probably not actually playing (depends on the rehearsal). So unless you're playing some behemoth piece (say Mahler 5 or 6) straight through-I'd say that 482 is a generous estimate. I think someday I'll wear my HRM just to see what I burn in Jedi training.