P90X equipment questions?

feelalive1
feelalive1 Posts: 5
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi,

I'm a big Cathe Friedrich fan and already do weightlifting, but my husband just talked me into ordering P90X. He is super excited and wants to do this together - this will be the first time we've actually worked out together in the 13 years we've been married, so it should be interesting and fun!

Anyways, I see resistance bands being advertised for P90X. I'm assuming then that they use bands instead of weights in the DVDs?? Is it easy to just use free weights that we already own? Or, would we get more benefit using resistance bands? During the DVD's does he give you a guide on how much weight to use, or do you just have to figure it out?

We have one pull up bar, I was thinking maybe we need two since we are doing it together? BUT, at this point I can't even do one at this point......so should I get a resistance band to do something else (any advice on what resistance) ?

Thanks!!!

Replies

• tinasullens
    tinasullens Posts: 203 Member
    I have completed 2 rounds of P90X! That's awesome you will be working out with your hubby! The videos actually show how to use bands and weights...so you can do either. Also, I opt for the pull downs (with the band) rather than pull ups. You'll just need to make sure that whatever you have the band hooked onto is VERY secure so it doesn't slip off and smack you in the face. OUCH!! lol.

Tony does tell you how much weight he is using for the exercises, so you can guage what size weights you'll need from that.

Have fun, do YOUR best and don't try to keep up with them at first. Just focus on using proper form so you don't injure yourself.
  • tinasullens
    tinasullens Posts: 203 Member
    Oh, on the resistance band, I use a medium resistance...I think it's approx. a 20 lb.one. You may want to start out with a light/10 lb. band and work your way up. But if you already are accustomed to weightlifting, then the 20 lbs. may be just right to start out with. I'd get both just in case - at least for the pull downs. You could also get a 2nd pull up bar and keep a chair under you to use to help yourself up until you get stronger. They show how to do that in the videos too!

I would highly recommend the P90X Recovery Formula for after your workouts! You'll need it!!!! It's yummy and it helps to reduce soreness and speeds up the repair process of the torn muscle tissue which helps to build the muscle.
  • oaker
    oaker Posts: 132 Member
    I would use the dumbells if you already have them. There are times when you need to modify when using bands because of your grip. I think one pull up bar will do the trick (one can rest while the other works). My wife and I went thru the program a year ago and we both appreciated the extra rest while the other one suffered thru the pullups. I have completed two rounds and took some time off and have started again. I still hit pause to get some extra rest because pull ups are TOUGH! Also, there is a workout called legs and back and using bands seems a bit awkward with the leg routine. Just my two cents worth
This discussion has been closed.