Timing of breakfast

Options
Hi,

Let me start by saying I am new to all this (working out, MFP,etc) so I'm sorry if this has been asked and I just couldn't find the thread.

I hear often that breakfast is the most important meal, don't skip breakfast, etc.

Does it matter the timing of breakfast? I am going to try to start working out in the morning this week so getting to the gym around 4:15am. I don't want to eat before because I get cramps if I eat before working out & I won't have time until I get to work to really have a "good" breakfast (not a granola bar type thing) so that has me eating around 7-7:30am.

Do I lose out on the benfit of eating first thing? Or is there really no timeline?

Thanks for you input.

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Let me start by saying I am new to all this (working out, MFP,etc) so I'm sorry if this has been asked and I just couldn't find the thread.

I hear often that breakfast is the most important meal, don't skip breakfast, etc.

Outside of behavioral/preferential effects, it is no more important than any other meal.

Does it matter the timing of breakfast? I am going to try to start working out in the morning this week so getting to the gym around 4:15am. I don't want to eat before because I get cramps if I eat before working out & I won't have time until I get to work to really have a "good" breakfast (not a granola bar type thing) so that has me eating around 7-7:30am.

Do I lose out on the benfit of eating first thing? Or is there really no timeline?

Thanks for you input.

Timing/frequency of meals may effect satiety, gym performance, behavior, how you feel, etc. For all of these reasons it's important to find what works best for you. There's no one-size-fits-all answer here, but suffice it to say that you could delay breakfast or even skip it entirely, and as long as your total calorie/nutrient intake needs are being met over time, and as long as preferential things are being met (see previous list), you'll be just fine.
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    in Tim Ferriss's 4HB book (most of those things work, but many are hard to go by, and a lot of it is personal research - which isn't horrible. Just look for his definitions of certain things - orgasms being one).

He says to consume 20-30g of protein within 30 mins of waking up. That his father achieved significant results from just that.

I have been doing that, and been losing weight very quickly, although I'm sure it's a combination effort of many things all in one.

Another thing many people swear by when they first wake up is drinking 2 glasses of water with squeezed lemon (or lemon juice) to get the body going and get some of that water out of the way.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Another thing many people swear by when they first wake up is drinking 2 glasses of water with squeezed lemon (or lemon juice) to get the body going

this
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Outside of behavioral/preferential effects, it is no more important than any other meal.

Thanks for you input.

Timing/frequency of meals may effect satiety, gym performance, behavior, how you feel, etc. For all of these reasons it's important to find what works best for you. There's no one-size-fits-all answer here, but suffice it to say that you could delay breakfast or even skip it entirely, and as long as your total calorie/nutrient intake needs are being met over time, and as long as preferential things are being met (see previous list), you'll be just fine.

^ This. Seriously. There's nothing else to add.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Thanks for you input.

^ This. Seriously. There's nothing else to add.

^^agree all this^^
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    On the days I have lifting sessions, I eat dinner the night before and then brunch at noon the next day after I workout.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Agree with SideSteel's post.

To add my anecdotal blurb. I train fasted in the morning (well, except for my obligatory latte) and have no performance issues as long as I have eaten enough the night before and it has not directly impacted my weight loss (it has indirectly improved it as it allows better adherence to my calorie target).

There is no direct metabolic advantage to either eating or not eating breakfast and should be looked at in a wider context - adherence, lifestyle, preference, gym performance and energy throughout the day - all these factors will differ between individuals.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    On the days I have lifting sessions, I eat dinner the night before and then brunch at noon the next day after I workout.

i do the same.
  • Lilith5
    Lilith5 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    By the time I eat breakfast it's more like lunch and so and so forth. I was always told 'breakfast is the most important meal of the day' but to me it's not important if it's making me ill!