Paleo/LC, nutritional knowledge andthe Dunning-Kruger effect

Options
Acg67
Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
Is it possible that the paleo diet and low carb diets make you dumber on the subject of nutrition, yet at the same time makes you think you know a lot about the subject? Using low carb and paleo dieters favorite sort of evidence, that would be anecdotal, that seems to be the case.

Could this also explain why you also see so many cases of special snowflake syndrome in these dieters, sheer ignorance of basic nutritional facts, despite fancying themselves as quite knowledgeable on the subject?

Or maybe they suffer from a form of true believer syndrome

Replies

• ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Bump :tongue:
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    Is it possible that the paleo diet and low carb diets make you dumber on the subject of nutrition, yet at the same time makes you think you know a lot about the subject? Using low carb and paleo dieters favorite sort of evidence, that would be anecdotal, that seems to be the case.

Could this also explain why you also see so many cases of special snowflake syndrome in these dieters, sheer ignorance of basic nutritional facts, despite fancying themselves as quite knowledgeable on the subject?

i think you are on to something here...
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    In in in in in in in in in in In in in in in in in in in in In in in in in in in in in in In in in in in in in in in in In in in in in in in in in in In in in in in in in in in in In in in in in in in in in in In in in in in in in in in in In in in in in in in in in in In in in in in in in in in in In in in in in in in in in in In in in in in in in in in in In in in in in in in in in in In in in in in in in in in in In in in in in in in in in in In in in in in in in in in in.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm sure you are infinetly more intelligent and educated on the subject of nutrition and human anatomy than Robb Wolff, who is in fact a research biochemist. i can tell by looking at your abs.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm sure you are infinetly more intelligent and educated on the subject of nutrition and human anatomy than Robb Wolff, who is in fact a research biochemist. i can tell by looking at your abs.

Why yes, he must be indicative of paleo adherents as a whole, how silly of me
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Oh jeez...
  • halejr23
    halejr23 Posts: 294
    Options
    That's just crazy talk and blasphemy! ;-)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

i think you are on to something here...

Just what I was thinking!
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Dude, we get it. You don't like Paleo. Fine. Good for you. If it works for some people, great. Good for them.

Get over it and move on.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

Read his book, and if you can understand the science of it, it might open your eyes. Dont be a Thomas Friedman.....
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, the high carb highly processed low fat typical SAD has got to be better for you..........NOT
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Dude, we get it. You don't like Paleo. Fine. Good for you. If it works for some people, great. Good for them.

Get over it and move on.

I love her, yes I do!!
  • mmapags
    Options

Didn't take long to get a working example, now did it?
  • Craigamears
    Craigamears Posts: 65 Member
    Options

This is quite interesting from a guy who Intermittent Fasts and has Chicken Breasts for breakfast. I don't remember Ozzie and Harriet serviing that up for the Nelson kids.

I am not throwing stones, I am not a Paleo person but we are all delusional here in one way or the other. I am ovo-lacto and low carb - Just my personal delusion.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options

Get over it and move on.

But most importantly...

"DON'T STOP, BELIEVING!!!!!!!!"
  • mmapags
    Options
    Absolutely, the high carb highly processed low fat typical SAD has got to be better for you..........NOT

OMG, are those the only 2 options? I'm neither doing paleo/ low carb or SAD. I must be doing it wrong!! :sad:
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, whom were you trying to make sound stupid here?
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I'm low carb. It works better for me than anything else has. Because it is easier to control my appetite and cravings. I am trying to understand what little real research is behind it. Of course as someone who failed high school chemistry this is a serious struggle, but it's worth it. There is a lot of junk science out there.

But while it interests me enough to learn as much as I can learn about it, know what, in the end, what matters is it works. Yes I want to know why. Yes I want more good studies done. Yes it does matter. But not as much as the results I'm getting matter.
  • Proyecto_AN
    Options
    LOW-CARBER BUMP.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options

OMG, are those the only 2 options? I'm neither doing paleo/ low carb or SAD. I must be doing it wrong!! :sad:

Right? Lol one extreme or the other.
This discussion has been closed.