People who log your food should read this

Options

Replies

• 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, the app doesn't allow you to confirm or correct entries. Besides, when there are ten entries for the same thing, we should be able to purpose the incorrect ones for deletion. I just had this problem with a specific brand of chicken soup.

You can adjust it with the app, when the initial scanned info come up, scroll down, it will ask if the information is incorrect (something like that) you can go in and make the adjustments.
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    lol i found one last night that was 1 pistachio kernel: 40 calories
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. I hate when people put in a food with nothing but the calories listed, and nothing else. Or they put {net carbs) in the title, yet they haven't deducted the fiber grams.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Let me start off with - yes, i agree with you to some extent. Although, something you may not have considered when posting this is that companies tweak their ingredients constantly. Just today, I found two individual packs of chips ahoy cookies with different nutrition facts on the back. One I bought a couple months ago and one I bought this past weekend. So, the new information came up incorrectly because it matched the old info.

so, it may not be the person entering the information, just that the information is old.

This is almost exactly what I was going to post. In addition, the same foods have different makeups for different countries. Just another thing to consider.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    When I find a stupid, incorrect entry, I make my own, complete with exclamation points and "REAL!" and "CORRECT!" So i don't get tricked again and can easily find my own entry.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    YEP, drives me NUTS. and yes it does mess things up. Learned that the hard way when I didn't double check things!

There are tons of skim milk entries that don't include the sugars. It is fine and dandy if you don't worry about natural sugars, but that doesn't mean they don't exist!!
  • WEB3
    WEB3 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I totally agree!
    I once saw someone admit that they change the food in the database so their diary for the day is lower than reality!
    That's cheating yourself, the others who use that entry, totally defeats the purpose of this site AANDD wastes my time fixing entries! bah!~
  • cathyfowler662
    cathyfowler662 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I totally agree!! I do add my name on all food because of all the incorrect information and I want my husband to be able to use the stuff I enter, too. I put the product name and then 'fowl' so that I know it is correct. I enter everything that they on the packaging. I will more closely put the grams as well as cups, etc as to let people weigh instead of measure. I should know better...I weigh everything too instead of measure. Bad me!!
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I am always fixing entries, but I find it is usually not too much off. This could also be because a company will change their recipe which makes the nutritional information different.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I check them all the time because of this... and when I see an incorrect entry you know what I do? I edit and correct it.... problem solved.

As far as I can tell editing an entry is not an option from the mobile app from which I do most of my tracking. Wish it was, though.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Yes! There are wildly different numbers for the same items. Also if you find something is correct - please confirm. I rely on that quite a bit as I know MFP has a lot of smart and meticulous members.
  • senator_kang
    Options
    I agree that anyone who enters information into the database SHOULD put it in correctly and completely. But the bottom line is that this is a free website, it's a free tool. If you can't put in the foods that you eat, but you expect that someone else should have done it already, and done it to your standards- perhaps you'd like to look into a pay site with a professionally maintained database of foods? I'm cool with checking the calories etc. on what I find in the database, and if it's right- awesome. If not? I put it in, myself. Sometimes it saves me some time, but otherwise: this whole tracking and weight loss situation is all up to me, anyway. It's free. I know, you were venting- or so it seems. I was just venting back. Nothing personal, just different opinions.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I actually find it to be very accurate for what I am eating most of the time but I have seen A LOT of incorrect info as well. I ALWAYS double check nutrition info, not just what is in it but the portion size. People who scan foods and choose to add it to the database should really double check too - no excuses.

Also, pay attention to whether its Canadian, American, etc as well cause despite a food item being the same thing, in Canada it could be 190, it could be 210 in USA.
  • TheNEWMonicaB
    TheNEWMonicaB Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this! I totally second that. It is so frustrating for those of us who are super conscious of logging their calories and making sure the entries are complete for all of the stats.
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    my favorite thing was when I scanned like, a pack of nails at a hardware store and they popped up as... I think it was like "organic pomegranate seeds". mmm nails. my favorite.
  • EllyG08
    EllyG08 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    exactly!! Or just add it and it asks you if you want to add it to the MFP database.. DON'T!! It will be saved for your use only but not mess everyone else up who goes and clicks in good faith. hahaha I approve this post whole heartedly :flowerforyou:

^^^^THIS!!!
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Definitely! It bugs me when I have to look through ten different listings of the same food to see which matches the package.
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Let me start off with - yes, i agree with you to some extent. Although, something you may not have considered when posting this is that companies tweak their ingredients constantly. Just today, I found two individual packs of chips ahoy cookies with different nutrition facts on the back. One I bought a couple months ago and one I bought this past weekend. So, the new information came up incorrectly because it matched the old info.

so, it may not be the person entering the information, just that the information is old.

I'm pretty sure the nutrition content of a Gala apple-medium doesn't change. Why are there 20 entries for it?
  • AnneC77
    AnneC77 Posts: 284
    Options
    I agree, I really hate the 'Generic' items on the database. There aren't many foods that are Generic, different brands of bread have different calories and so does different brands of sausage, yet I have seen 'generic' sausage sandwich! Well was butter or spread included? what thickness is the bread? I could go on and on and on... *rant over*
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I pulled up an entry for spinach that said one cup of spinach has 6.9 calories but 10 individual leaves has 23. The entire 10 oz package has 65.3. The math hardly seems accurate as 10 leaves is a mere fraction of the container.