Hints for Running/Jogging in the Cold

Options
Hi, Guys...

Today is supposed to be Week 1, Day 2 of Couch to 5K.

The temp has dropped today and it's ridiculously cold out there with wind. Right now, it's in the mid-thirties if you count the wind chill. All the girls in the office are telling me I'd be an idiot to run later today because the temps are only going to drop. (Now mind you, I'm NOT up north where this would be a balmy day, or in the mountains, LOL...) We've been in the 50's and 60's for pretty much the last week or two, and I wasn't trying to run prior to that, soooo...

What is the best way to run/jog in the cold? Should I put a scarf over my face? Layer clothes? I know a parka is going to be cumbersome, but I think layering under a hooded sweatshirt might work? Ordinarily, if it were cold, I'd just say screw it and stay in front of the tv, but this isn't going to be one of those things that happens by thinking about it, so I am doing W1, D2, cold wind or not.

Went for a quick 15 minute brisk walk at lunch and it was pretty uncomfortable, but I figure, WTH? No pain no gain, right?

I'm getting over a sinus infection and don't want to do anything stupid that might put me out again.

Yeah, I know...total nube. I usually hibernate when it gets cold like this. Right now? It's not an option.

Replies

• hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym....

If that's not an option, I'd say layer your clothing. Make sure you cover your ears if you are prone to getting achy ears from the cold air. Good luck and have fun. I'll be thinking about you while I am working out at the gym.
  • hastinbe
    hastinbe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I always bring extra stuff and take it off as I'm running, just enough to not sweat too bad. If I need something to keep my face from freezing I usually just don't go outside, which can be tricky cause the breeze on your face is cumulative and before you know it your face feels like cardboard.

But I always bring sunglasses, a beanie, a hooded sweatshirt, and gloves. I always wear a long sleeve shirt underneath the sweatshirt. I use the hooded sweatshirt for blocking the wind on the sides of my face (and I can run with my head towards the ground if the breeze is a little too much), and beanie for keeping head and ears warm. I use the sunglasses for blocking the cool air on my eyes which prevents tears. And depending on how cold it is those tears can freeze your eyelashes which can be irritating.

Other than that I don't bring anything special. It's usually the wind chill that gets me.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I don't have a gym membership...anymore...I hated it there. Trying to get a treadmill was like pulling teeth, LOL...I went to the one by the house, and it was ok, but wasn't loving the atmosphere...dark, hollow, etc. ;)

Yes, please think warm thoughts for me...Cuz I know your weather and MY weather are the same. :bigsmile:
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    A couple of thin layers, and make sure you wear a hat and gloves. I also wear a Buff (snood) up over my nose and mouth until I'm properly warmed up; but then I'm asthmatic, so my lungs don't much care for all that cold air!
  • juliemouse83
    Options
    I always bring extra stuff and take it off as I'm running, just enough to not sweat too bad. If I need something to keep my face from freezing I usually just don't go outside, which can be tricky cause the breeze on your face is cumulative and before you know it your face feels like cardboard.

But I always bring sunglasses, a beanie, a hooded sweatshirt, and gloves. I always wear a long sleeve shirt underneath the sweatshirt. I use the hooded sweatshirt for blocking the wind on the sides of my face (and I can run with my head towards the ground if the breeze is a little too much), and beanie for keeping head and ears warm. I use the sunglasses for blocking the cool air on my eyes which prevents tears. And depending on how cold it is those tears can freeze your eyelashes which can be irritating.

Other than that I don't bring anything special. It's usually the wind chill that gets me.

OMG, frozen tears????? Who'd've thunk...Thanks...Layers and hoodie...and extras...Got it.
  • mleech77
    mleech77 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Layers are the key when it comes to working out in the cold. BTW I just started on week 4 of the Couch to 5K program.
  • whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Layering is key! Also, covering your head and hands is crucial to staying warm.

I ran this morning--it was 29F (according to my phone). This is what I wore, and I was pretty comfortable:

Leggings + long sleeve top
    Running jacket
    Gloves
    Fleece-lined headband to cover my ears

General rule of thumb for running is to dress for a temperature 10F higher than actual temp (to accommodate the rise in body temp).
  • carrowood2007
    Options
    Basically, you said it best. no pain, no gain. however you do not want to get sick or unmotivated by the weather. i just run faster to get my set distance in. i ran a few days ago for 25 minutes and it was like 13 degrees. needless to say i could not feel my face. i wore some UA cold gear today and was ok and its 20 degrees.
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    In those temps I would were cold gear compression tights, three quarter zip shirt, wool sicks, beannie and running gloves. I also wear a wind breaker if it is windy. Running in the winter comes down to appropriate dress. You want to dress like it is 20○ warmer iut for your run. Be careful, it is easy to over dress too. I did that a few weeks ago and was sweating i 17º weather. No worries, after a few cold weather runs you will figure out what works for you.
  • kerriotto
    Options
    When it gets cold like this, I use Dermatone on my face. It helps prevent windburn like a champ (I hate anything over my face, like a scarf).
  • juliemouse83
    Options
    You guys are great!

I almost didn't go, as we are celebrating my son receiving a scholarship, but the wind died down and I knocked it out. I layered - heavier socks, fleece jogging pants, tee shirt, and long sleeved hoodie. Kept the hood up, and the sleeves are long enough to cover my hands. I was actually really comfortable, and the whole thing flew by fast and was done before I knew it! :bigsmile:

This whole moving around and exercising thing is actually becoming FUN!

If you all had told me two weeks ago that I would have been jogging in the cold tonight, I would have laughed at ya! :wink:
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I am glad it went well. I enjoy winter runs way better than humid summer ones:).
  • runningwild00
    Options
    Dont go to the gym if you want to run!! That's boring!! Layer up and get out! You can always take layers off and tie around your waist.
    Tomorrow, I'm planning: long spandex, sweat pants over those.....long sleeved shirt, sweatshirt, hat, and neck warmer.
    I like being warm when I run (to a degree, so to speak).....but I also strip down as needed.

It is motivation for me knowing that people think I'm crazy as I run in the winter time.

Although....sorry to now say the opposite....I've gotta say, if it seems dangerous to be outside (negative degrees......windy...what not) don't do it! Not worth getting hurt or sick!
  • hastinbe
    hastinbe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Awesome, good job