How big do I look to other people?

Options

Replies

• MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    bump..... I'd like to see that web site!
  • cjroberts08
    Options
    Try out this website. Its a bunch of pictures of other women and you can put in your height and weight and body shape and it shows you pictures of similar women. It really was a lot of help to me because I always wonder how other people see me.

mybodygallery.com
  • OddChoices
    OddChoices Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Seeing a picture of me next to my very fit sister did it for me. At 186 lbs I was ugly like a dump sack of potatoes. I am 144 now and have 25 pounds more to go. But thanks to strength training I am already looking svelte.
  • ravenchick
    ravenchick Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I was over 300 pounds and didn't think I was THAT big. Until I lost 100 pounds and looked at pictures. Now I could slap myself for not noticing and doing something about it sooner.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I look at myself daily, anx really I dont seem that fat, to myself. Im 5'8", 240lbs, large bone frame, but how.would I beBle to see myself thru.anotherz eyes...???

Seriously?
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    See yourself unexpectedly in a shop window! Or in fitting room mirrors :noway: I know I didn't see myself as fat as I was - now I look back and think OMG I was FAT!
  • o2bADyer
    o2bADyer Posts: 208
    Options
    When I look in a mirror, it always seems less harsh than in a picture. I don't know why, but it seems to be the case for me.
  • stacylperry
    stacylperry Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm totally with YOU !
    sometimes I used to think "Im not that big" ... Until I saw a photo at 296 pounds!! OMG !!
    NOW, Im 193, but NOW I feel like I'm only worth the the girl at 296.
    like it doesn't matter I lost 100 pounds.
    I still feel very FAT !
    I go to the gym, and I know I lost weight, and have trimmed down, but I still feel like the FAT girl.
    I FEEL like the photo of the 296 now... sad :(
  • sarahbethbeauty
    Options
    Here it is! http://www.mybodygallery.com/

I know a lot of us think well I look better than her but you will see a few different people at your size.

love this site! Really opened my eyes to what I really look like!
  • Rebirth08
    Rebirth08 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Pictures was a big motivator for me. Before i got serious about changing the way I was living, I took pictures and I was at 238 pounds. But see, 238 was better than 262, which was my heaviest during my adult life. But those pictures, especially looking at it from the backview, was an eye opener and the choice was made immediately to change. I've carried a lot of fat in my midsection, so that wasn't new to me. Always had big thighs; but seeing what I could not see (my back/behind) was like whoa!! So, I think that's what others saw, but I needed to see it to really get to moving. Now I'm 30 pounds lighter (as of 1/1/13) and I don't see a huge difference from the eye, but I do see a difference...some people drop 30 pounds and it's like major; but for me, I look like I have "depuffed" (lol), which is good, so I'm just working it from here.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Let's just say you appear to have a BMI of roughly 29 or greater.
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Well to be honest, you do seem to look like you need to lose some weight, BUT you are very beautiful, and wear your weight very well :wink:
  • ClearNotCloudyMind
    ClearNotCloudyMind Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Try out this website. Its a bunch of pictures of other women and you can put in your height and weight and body shape and it shows you pictures of similar women. It really was a lot of help to me because I always wonder how other people see me.

mybodygallery.com

That's a brilliant site! Thanks :)
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    OP - I get it... I'm 5'3" and at 200 pounds I often don't "feel" fat and I think I look pretty damn good. But the fact of the matter is that I am not at a healthy weight for my height, and I'm not taking care of my body.

So, stop worrying about what other people see and think and just get healthy.
  • snowwhite0805
    snowwhite0805 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This the one thing I have noticed that when you are over weight you avoid having your picture taken at least I do so one of my things at this point is to have a photo taken every month so I don't have "body distortion issues". They talk about that on the anorexia side but you do not hear about it on the obese side which it is just as much of a problem.
  • chervil6
    chervil6 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    get someone to take a photo of u and then you'll see .. i hate my pic been taken for that reason :(
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    my therapist confirms that I look about 197 times smaller to other people than i do to myself.
    my tendency to meet new friends through the internet confirms that i look about twice as big in pictures as i do in real life.

however, that last thing is probably just a short people problem.
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Midnight_Sunshine Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    It depends how you dress really. You can minimize or maximize.

Like.... you might not want to wear a shirt with a large eye drawing M right across the widest part of your body.....for instance
  • ladybowe
    Options
    Yeah, I thought that way too until I was standing naked in front of a full length mirror...that's a major wake up call as to how far I had let myself go. Its great that you have that good self esteem, but at your height and weight, it just isn't healthy so think about your health and not how fat you do or don't look.
  • lizjjam
    lizjjam Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I always wondered that too. It's interesting how it works. I look at myself in the mirror and go 'oh, you don't look that bad' .. but then I see a picture and I go 'holy crap!!!'

I think that really opened my eyes .. that and sometimes people make comments about it and that gets to me too.

Me too. I swear my mirror has some kind of twisted game going on with my self esteem! I actually cried a few weeks ago when I saw a photo of myself and it made me too embarrassed to have any photos taken all over Christmas.