I over did it yesterday

michelleellis
michelleellis Posts: 63 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
My husband wanted to go out to eat yesterday. We did Mexican food. I had chips and salsa and margarita. I feel so bad. I went over my calories by 600. I am going to make it right today. I still feel bad. I guess I have to build will power. It's hard trying to eat little portions while other people are enjoying their meals. It seems like I will not be able to go out if I want to loss weight.

Replies

• ReneDavidson
    ReneDavidson Posts: 86 Member
    Right there with you!! I always do horrible when I eat out or at someone else's house...ugh!
  • lynnie30
    lynnie30 Posts: 105 Member
    Just yesterday I felt the same way and some wonderful people on here made me feel so much better. First, I can say that you came to the right place. Today is a new day- make it up to yourself. find something to do to burn some extra calories. I felt the same way yesterday but I got up and bought myself a new work out dvd that kicked my butt and now I feel that I have somehow "redeemed myself".

Funny though isn't it? For some reason we don't give ourselves a break. One day isn't really going to sabotage everything. I once thought that I would start over after having a rough day. But your one rough day is just that- a rough day. No need to feel bad.

:flowerforyou:
  • jcm214
    jcm214 Posts: 157
    It is hard to go out to eat but I went out on Saturday (Red Lobster...LOVE IT) and what helped me was doing a little research (since I knew I was going) and figuring out what I was going to have ahead of time so I knew what my calories would be. It helped a lot and I didn't feel deprived at all. I even allowed myself 2 of their cheddar biscuits. I didn't get what I normally get but it was still good and I didn't go over my calories. This website is fantastically thorough and even if you can't find it here sometimes you can find it on the restaurant's website or calorieking.com

Good luck. At least you are aren't giving up and you know what to do different for next time.
    I know in the past I would have given up completely.

Cheers,
    Jenn
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    I'm guessing that you're set at losing at least 1 pound a week, so..... If that's the case, you're 500 below maintaining your weight which balanced out that you were only 100 calories of maintining your weight. Go for a short walk and you'll be back at maintaining.

Going over your cals sometimes helps your body be ready to lose again (Body for Life program has 1 cheat DAY a week - it helps your body and the cravings of limiting what you're eating all week).

Relax, don't stress and think about how much fun you had yesterday.
  • its_B
    its_B Posts: 491
    You can still go out! I go out with friends who KNOW what I am doing, and what i can and cant do. They support me and honestly don't mind eating the really fattening stuff! I also don't go to BIG chains like chili, outback steak house, etc, because their portions are HUGE! I generally try and go to local diners, and even then i look at their plates before i even sit down! I know it sounds rediculous, but it works! pick restaurants with smaller portions and you are bound to eat less! Oh and eat SLOWLY, your waiter can just go F himself if they have a problem with you eating slowly or holding a table for a long time. Eat slowly, don't order desert or an appetiser. :) enjoy your time with conversation, eat slowly, and avoid anything cooked in grease! :) haha
  • aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    I understand your feelings. I have a hard time when going out to eat as well. You can always do extra exercise today and then don't eat the extra 'exercise calories'.
  • you DID go over...BUT you are aware of it and are going to be better next time you go out. and hey if we go ever now and then its NOT the end of the world...its called the REAL world!!!!
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Ok - so you went over. The thing I think we all forget is that before starting this journey- we went "over"... by much more than we freak out about now. Celebrate the awareness and ditch the guilt. Move on.

You can still go out - remember, this is not a "diet" - it's a lifestyle. Learning to go out in moderation is part of living. Tonight, we're going to Five Guys Burger and Fries - a place where it would be EASY for me to go over on calories. However, we made the decision to go out before I had eaten lunch today... so I logged what I wanted to have for dinner then figured out what I could have for lunch that would work. I didn't eat a snack mid-afternoon because we're eating at 5.

The important thing is to be aware of what you're doing and if you occasionally go over - you exercise a little more and you get right back on track.

Don't sweat it!
  • dmags
    dmags Posts: 303
    One thing I have definately learned is that cannot use one bad day, be your excuse to quit. I am not preaching, I am talking about what I know. I have been queen of this in my past and it is something that I want to change. I had my first "bad" say since joining. St. Patrick's day party. It was ugly, I am not going to lie! But, also received a lot of compliments from people who had not seen me in a while and that helped wake up today, and get my focus back. Don't beat yourself up... at least you still counted your calories... that is huge... I did not log in for the first time in almost 40 days on here yesterday... I was really disappointed in myself. But I back, logging in, shredding and counting. You can do this!
  • michelleellis
    michelleellis Posts: 63 Member
    Thanks you guys. You all give excellent advice. I guess you learn from your mistakes. I think I might walk on my treadmill for about 40 minutes and burn some extra calories.
  • ReneDavidson
    ReneDavidson Posts: 86 Member
    Good for you Michelle...I have done that at the end of many a day...I see my calorie count go up, so I do the treadmill for an extra 15 mins or more...
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    That's right. You did over do it and you realized it, and knowing what you'd have to do to burn that many extra calories will make you think twice next time. mmmmmmMargarita!!!!
This discussion has been closed.