No Weight Loss after trying VERY hard...

katerpillar1000
katerpillar1000 Posts: 13 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to get something off my chest really...

I have two weeks until I go on holiday and had a target in mind, however I am still 5lbs away s never going to meet it.. which is getting me down.

I was exercising at the gym every second day and walking m dog for an hour daily, but this past week I decided to work out every day and make sure I burned at least 500 calories per day. I was good with my food, sometimes eating my exercise calories, sometimes eating half, sometimes not eating them.. just depending on how hungry I was.

This morning I really could not be bothered going to the gym but went anyway as I wanted to weigh myself using their fancy scales that calculates your body fat etc. I had not even moved a point of a pound! How gutted was I?

Any suggestions why this could be? I am thinking it could be because I have put on muscle, or I am just bloody unlucky and my metabolism is SO slow...

Any positive feedback would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Replies

• bizziebod
    bizziebod Posts: 18
    Hi, You're certainly trying hard - there's loads of advice on the boards here, the post I've linked to below is quite helpful Good Luck!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    What does MFP set your daily calorie intake to? For example, if it's set at 1200 and you eat exactly 1200, yet burn off 500, then that's only a net of 700 calories for the day. if you don't eat those 500 exercise calories to give your body fuel, then you're going to send it into starvation mode where it will hold on to food instead of burning it because it's not getting enough. So, eat all your workout calories, or at least enough to get you to/slightly over that 1200 calories a day mark.

Also, if you greatly increased your workouts, it could be water weight as your body saves water and sends it to your mucsles to repair them as you break them down. Give it another week or so and your body will release that water weight.

Hope these insights help.
  • Can't give any advice from personal experience since I have a lot to lose and am just starting, BUT... I have a friend who was trying for months and months to lose the last 5 pounds and what finally did it for her was adding a spoonful of flaxseed oil a day for the omega-3 fatty acids. She mixed it with vinegar for a salad dressing. Plus she tried to eat more wild salmon, which also has omega 3. Apparently it gives your body something it needs to help release the excess fat, even though I know it seems weird to eat fat in order to lose fat.
  • ractayjon
    ractayjon Posts: 365
    Do you always use the gym scale? Different scales will read differently - if that isnt the scale that you usually use maybe you should try the scale that you always use.
    Another thought (Im no expert mind you just my thoughts) sometimes when you work harder then you normally do your body may hold onto some water or maybe hold onto some calories to feed the muscles that you worked...I know that if I have a hard day at the gym I will show a gain on the scales for a day or two...ad if you were working hard all week...maybe...?
    Also, 5 lbs is really nothing to your body I know to your mind it is but your body may be happy where it is and since it doesnt stick to calendar dates may just not be willing to let go -- the last 10 lbs is always the hardest.
    Good luck - dont let a number on a scale ruin your vacation - go enjoy!
  • michelleellis
    michelleellis Posts: 63 Member
    I dont have any advice. I just want to commend you for your hard work and dedication.
  • phil45
    phil45 Posts: 4
    Kate,

I feel your pain, but how do you feel? How do your clothes fit and at the end of the day are you healthier as a result of working out? I'm sure the answer is yes! I was stuck for a long time and finally the scale has begun to move, but so has my waist size...which is great...Once or twice a week, I will double up on workouts, and recently decided to break from my routine gym workout and did resistance training in the pool..to continually shock my body.

Perhaps, now that you have lost some weigh, your body has adjusted to your workouts, and your calorie intake..maybe it is time to shock it...due different streneous exercises...work your large muscle groups and try to break those down in order to burn more calories..but most importantly relax....your weight will come off, but at the end of the day...you are healthier than you would have been had you not done anything at all. Good luck!
  • katerpillar1000
    What does MFP set your daily calorie intake to? For example, if it's set at 1200 and you eat exactly 1200, yet burn off 500, then that's only a net of 700 calories for the day. if you don't eat those 500 exercise calories to give your body fuel, then you're going to send it into starvation mode where it will hold on to food instead of burning it because it's not getting enough. So, eat all your workout calories, or at least enough to get you to/slightly over that 1200 calories a day mark.

Also, if you greatly increased your workouts, it could be water weight as your body saves water and sends it to your mucsles to repair them as you break them down. Give it another week or so and your body will release that water weight.

Hope these insights help.

Hi Again,

Thank you for this reply... I just checked my "net" calories and it varies from 400 -1100, about 3 days I was down at 300, 400, 500 calories, so I'm now thinking maybe I wasn't eating enough. But to be honest I have never felt hungry and I love my food... so maybe I will try getting some more fruit down me (not something I eat very often)... Thank you for your response. K
  • katerpillar1000
    Trying to rememeber everyone's questions here...:smile:

Well I do weigh myself everyday, but on a Sunday morning I weigh myself at the gym and that is the weight that I record.

Thank you everyone for your responses, it's good to chat to people about weight loss, think my man is fed up listening!!

I definately feel a lot better, my clothes are loser, I feel fitter, generally just feel better. I know it's only a number.... so I need to chill out a little.

I did different DVD's this week - Jillian Michaels - now that would shock anyone's body!!! :laugh: I also did a little more weights at the gym, and only did 10 minutes on each machine instead of sticking to the treadmill for 30 minutes plus.

So back to the grind this week with a little more eating...

Thanks again to everyone, not feeling so depressed now... :happy:
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    You're on your last 5 lbs! That is going to hard hard hard! I am having trouble with my last 20-30 lbs - I have been stuck for weeks and haven't moved. Maybe change your weekly loss to 1/2 a lb instead of 1 lb. It can be a long haul with the last pesky pounds.
This discussion has been closed.