Sugar... How do you do it?

Options
Hi all,

I'm new to MFP and despite doing ok so far I struggle to stay under my allotted sugar allowance. It is literally blown by breakfast!

I have found fruit in the morn helps assuage my coffee habit and leaves me semi lucid: therefore I am loath to give it up but I am failing miserably on staying within my daily allowance.

I normally have pineapple, but wonder if there is an equally filling but less sugary fruit you could recommend?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Lizzie

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Eat your fruit and don't worry about it.
  • DeanBurrows
    DeanBurrows Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Eat your fruit and don't worry about it.

THIS ^^

If you're working out don't worry about it
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Hit (or exceed) your protein, hit (or exceed) your fat. Hit (as closely as possible) your calories. Don't sweat the sugar and carbs. They will fall into place as a side effect of the other variables being controlled.
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Hit (or exceed) your protein, hit (or exceed) your fat. Hit (as closely as possible) your calories. Don't sweat the sugar and carbs. They will fall into place as a side effect of the other variables being controlled.
    exceed your fat?
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I was the same. I thought I would not survive mood swings without sugar. It is the exact opposite, I went cold turkey on fast release carbs. I do not have high and low blood sugar and that means that I stay calm. I do not crave any food and never feel desperately hungry.

Did you know that cereals and bread release glucose into your blood so fast that you may as well eat sugar? Avoid processed cereals. Eat oats, weeetabix with seeds. Dried fruit.

Cut out white flour if possible. Do not drink coffee if you associate it with sugar - switch to tea or herbal.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    exceed your fat?
    Yes
  • taso42
    Options
    exceed your fat?

Yeah. I consider protein and fat targets as minimums.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    I was the same. I thought I would not survive mood swings without sugar. It is the exact opposite, I went cold turkey on fast release carbs. I do not have high and low blood sugar and that means that I stay calm. I do not crave any food and never feel desperately hungry.

Did you know that cereals and bread release glucose into your blood so fast that you may as well eat sugar? Avoid processed cereals. Eat oats, weeetabix with seeds. Dried fruit.

Cut out white flour if possible. Do not drink coffee if you associate it with sugar - switch to tea or herbal.

^^^ THIS THIS THIS!
  • GemW27
    GemW27 Posts: 41
    Options
    I'm the same - everything is in check except sugar. I can't seem to cut it down any more!
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    If you MUST eat fruit, eat grapefruit or berries. They're lower in sugar.
  • GemW27
    GemW27 Posts: 41
    Options
    I'm the same - everything is in check except sugar. I can't seem to cut it down any more!
    P.s. I'm a cereal addict...
  • andyisandy
    andyisandy Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    ding ding ding we have a winner!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    exceed your fat?

Yeah. I consider protein and fat targets as minimums.

Particularly if one is using MFP default macro settings.

OP...This does work. I manually changed my macros to 40c/30P/30HF...as I made efforts to meet those protein and healthy fat goals, I just naturally had to cut carbs. Most of my carbs now come from a couple servings of fruit and 4 or so servings of veg and some starches/grains...but a whopping 60% of my calories are coming from protein and heart healthy fats. It used to be the other way around for me...I was closer to 60C/20P/20HF and my blood sugar levels were all over the place.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    If you MUST eat fruit, eat grapefruit or berries. They're lower in sugar.

Of course you should eat fruit - any fruit....Not sure what you mean by "must " eat fruit....If you are not diabetic, don't worry about natural sugar - minimize the use of refinde sugars - cereal, cookies etc...
  • DrBroPHD
    DrBroPHD Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Try to stick to using brown sugar instead of white

Like rice it is much healthier for you
  • UnoDrea3732
    UnoDrea3732 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    It should be ok if the sugar came from your fruit in the morning. It is "hidden" sugar that you should worry about. Just to e careful not to over due it on fruit. Some people just hear that they "shouldn't" worry about fruit and over due it. It actually can cause weight gain if you are not too careful.
  • taso42
    Options
    LMmVFFh.jpg
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I live by this as well
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I've cut down on refined sugar, besides my Chobani, but I don't stress about naturally occurring sugar in fruit and other foods. I'm not diabetic. I could probably do better in that area but it's not affecting my results.

I'm better off not worrying about naturally occurring sugar than buying no sugar added or sugar free stuff and pumping myself full of artificial flavors and artificial sweeteners.

REAL FOOD. People are missing the damn point these days!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    LMmVFFh.jpg
    I :heart: you